|Regiment Universiteit Oranje-Vrystaat|
Emblem of the Regiment Universiteit Oranje-Vrystaat
|Active||1960 – c. 1974|
South African Army Artillery Corps|
Army Conventional Reserve
|Collar Badge||Bursting grenade with seven flames|
|Beret Colour||Oxford Blue|
|Artillery Battery Emblems|
|Artillery Beret Bar circa 1992|
The Regiment Universiteit Oranje-Vrystaat (University of the Orange Free State Regiment) was an artillery regiment of the South African Artillery. As a reserve unit, it had a status roughly equivalent to that of a British Army Reserve or United States Army National Guard unit. It was part of the South African Army Artillery Corps.
History[edit | edit source]
In the 1950s in South Africa, military units were attached to each large university. The University of the Orange Free State acquired an artillery capability. The concept was for long term students to complete their obligatory military training in these units. Training would also be organised so as not to unduly interfere with university work.
A survey battery would set up the gun line for cannons through determining the horizontal and vertical locations of each piece so that plotting could occur on a firing chart and accurate data correlated.
Students completing their academic courses were transferred mainly to the Vrystaatse Artillerie Regiment, a active citizen force regiment which had a close association with the University.
Insignia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Crook, Lionel. Regiment Potchefstroom University. p. 28. https://www.gunners.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/The-Gunner-book1-1.pdf.
- Dictionary of Missile and Artillery Terms, 1982, Major Gener5al AP Bogetskiy, Colonel Kusnetsov, Lieutenant Colonel AP Shapovalov; Chief Editor Lieutenant General of Artillery G Ye Perelel'skiy. Foreign Technology Division Translation FTD-ID(RS)T-1988-80
- The Development of Artillery Tactics and Equipment, Brigadier AL Pemberton, 1950
- "Welcome to the South African Unit Profiles". War in Angola. http://www.warinangola.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1239&ParameterString=south%20african%20army&ParameterString2=Artillery.
- Otto, W (1983). "UBIQUE - THE GUNNERS OF SOUTH AFRICA". pp. 62–76. Digital object identifier:10.5787/13-3-552. http://scientiamilitaria.journals.ac.za/pub/article/view/552/584.
- Further reading: Wilsworth, Clive. First In, Last Out: The South African Artillery in Action: 1975–1988. 30 Degrees South. ISBN 978-1-920143-40-4. http://www.30degreessouth.co.za/first_in_last_out.htm.
[edit | edit source]
- Engelbrecht, Leon (2010-02-09). "Fact file: The SA Artillery" (in en-ZA). https://www.defenceweb.co.za/resources/fact-files/fact-file-the-sa-artillery/.
- Gunner's Association
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|