A remote weapon system or station, (RWS) is a remotely controlled weapon station for light and medium caliber weapons which can be installed on any type of vehicle or other platforms (land and sea-based). Such equipment is used on modern military vehicles, as it allows a gunner to remain in the relative protection of the vehicle. It may also be retrofitted onto existing vehicles, for example, the CROWS system is being fitted to American Humvees and the Thales SWARM for Bushmaster IMVs of the Royal Netherlands Army.
Examples[edit | edit source]
- FLW 100/200 - Krauss-Maffei Wegmann has developed a remote weapon system for its ATF Dingo that uses periscopes to decrease the cost and reduce the risk of failure. Recently, KMW has developed the light "FLW 100" and the heavy "FLW 200" fully remote controlled weapon systems, which were ordered by the German Army for its new generations of armoured verhicles.
- MTS Lance - A large, Modular Turret System intended for 25mm-40mm cannons. Available in manned or remotely operated configurations.
- ZSMU Kobuz - Developed by OBRSM Tarnów
- United Kingdom
- United States
See also[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to remote weapon systems.|
References[edit | edit source]
- "Nanuk, Qimek and Amarok: A trio of world-class weapon stations on view at Idex 2009". Rhienmetall Defence. 26 February 2009. http://www.rheinmetall-detec.com/index.php?fid=5033&qid=&qpage=0&lang=3.
- "Nanuk Fact Sheet". Rheinmetall Defence. http://www.rheinmetall.ca/servlet/file?id=53.
- "Amarok Fact Sheet". Rheinmetall Defence. http://www.rheinmetall.ca/servlet/file?id=51.
- "Qimek Fact Sheet". Rheinmetall Defence. http://www.rheinmetall.ca/servlet/file?id=55.
- "MTS Lance – Rheinmetall’s new modular turret system: Cutting edge technology, systematic modularity". Rheinmetall Defence. http://www.rheinmetall-detec.com/index.php?fid=5121&qid=&qpage=0&lang=3.
- "ENFORCER II REMOTE CONTROLLED WEAPON SYSTEM". SELEX Galileo. http://www.selex-sas.com/EN/Common/files/SELEX_Galileo/Products/ENFORCER.pdf.
- CROWS 2
- "ZSMU Kobuz". OBRSM. http://www.obr.tarnow.pl/pl/galeria/pages/KOBUZ%20ZSMU.html.
- "TRACKFIRE RWS REMOTE WEAPON AND SENSOR SYSTEM". Saab. http://www.saabgroup.com/Global/Documents%20and%20Images/Land/Weapon%20Systems/RWS_UTAAS/Trackfire%20RWS%206pg.pdf.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|