|File:File:Rominger Official USDA Portrait.jpg|
|8th United States Deputy Secretary of Agriculture|
May 12, 1993 – January 20, 2001
|Preceded by||Ann Veneman|
|Succeeded by||Jim Moseley|
|California Secretary of Food and Agriculture|
|Preceded by||Luther T. Wallace|
|Succeeded by||Clare Berryhill|
July 1, 1927 (age 94)
Woodland, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of California, Davis (BS)|
Richard Rominger (born July 1, 1927) is a California politician who served as the 8th Deputy Secretary of Agriculture from 1993 to 2001 during the administration of Bill Clinton. Rominger previously served as the California Secretary of Food and Agriculture.
Early life and education
Born in Woodland, California and raised in Winters, California, Rominger attended his freshman year at Sacramento Junior College then served 14 months in the United States Navy during World War II. He then attended the University of California, Davis and graduated in 1949 with degrees in agronomy and plant sciences. After graduation, Rominger returned to work on his four-generation family farm.
In 1977, Governor Jerry Brown appointed Rominger to head the California Department of Food and Agriculture. He was confirmed by the California State Senate and served in the position until 1982. In 1993, Rominger was appointed by President of the United States Bill Clinton to serve as chief operating officer and Deputy Secretary of the United States Department of Agriculture. He served in the position until 2001 (the entirety of Clinton's time in office), and returned to their 6,000-acre family farm in California.
During his time at the USDA, Rominger advocated for a new pesticide ban as well as poultry product regulations, a new National Drought Emergency Commission, and the new National Organic Standards. Rominger also had responsibility for supervision of the USDA budget.
Rominger was appointed to the Board of Regents of the University of California in 2004. He has also served on the California Roundtable on Agriculture and the Environment and as president of the board of the American Farmland Trust. Rominger was the chairman and shareholder at Marrone Bio Innovations, Inc., Oryzatech, Inc., and Ag Innovations Network, Inc. Richard was a founding member and the first president of the Yolo County, California land trust.
In 1978, Roninger received the Jerry W. Fielder Memorial Award in recognition of his service to UCD. In 1989, he and his wife jointly received the Award of Distinction from the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. Roninger received the Distinguished Service Award from the California Farm Bureau Federation in 1991 and was named Agriculturalist of Year and the 1992 California State Fair. In 2016, Rominger was selected to receive the UC Davis Medal, the highest honor the university presents to an individual.
- https://www.uctv.tv,+UCTV, University of California Television-. "VIDEO: A Conversation with the Romingers: Experiences in Washington D.C. and Yolo County" (in en). https://www.uctv.tv/shows/A-Conversation-with-the-Romingers-Experiences-in-Washington-D-C-and-Yolo-County-6243.
- Ebeling, Walter (1979-01-01) (in en). The Fruited Plain: The Story of American Agriculture. University of California Press. ISBN 9780520037519. https://books.google.com/books?id=6QJDt8LtgX8C&pg=PA389&lpg=PA389&dq=richard+rominger+jerry+brown&source=bl&ots=6Lu2T8ZwJP&sig=ACfU3U3mlPSeJg8vR86EU7NmKO0596qzzA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSjdWBm6bhAhXH3J4KHdBGDCw4ChDoATAAegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=richard%20rominger%20jerry%20brown&f=false.
- Waldau, Paul; Patton, Kimberley (2009-05-22) (in en). A Communion of Subjects: Animals in Religion, Science, and Ethics. Columbia University Press. ISBN 9780231136433. https://books.google.com/books?id=5k6rAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA682&lpg=PA682&dq=richard+rominger+biography&source=bl&ots=5IeSS_IuVk&sig=ACfU3U3QfU-B7WAYtK94EoHcwVzs66ySAQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil7o3kkabhAhUTx58KHSFJAMM4ChDoATAAegQIBxAB#v=onepage&q=richard%20rominger%20biography&f=false.
- "It's All in the Family: The Rominger West History, Part I" (in en). 2011-03-15. https://romingerwestwinery.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/its-all-in-the-family-the-rominger-west-history-part-i/.
- J, Clinton, William (1994-01-01) (in en). Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States: William J. Clinton, 1993. Best Books on. ISBN 9781623767907. https://books.google.com/books?id=MSPhAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA256&lpg=PA256&dq=richard+rominger+biography&source=bl&ots=WwyBkpwsTF&sig=ACfU3U30sNig3vIEEUKan2KaWjYSFbBzZg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil7o3kkabhAhUTx58KHSFJAMM4ChDoATABegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=richard%20rominger%20biography&f=false.
- "Biographical Sketch: Richard Rominger". 2000-05-20. https://web.archive.org/web/20000520102800/http://www.usda.gov/agencies/gallery/rominger.htm.
- "Reducing Pesticide Risks | C-SPAN.org" (in en-us). https://www.c-span.org/video/?151316-1/reducing-pesticide-risks.
- "Federal Commission on Droughts | C-SPAN.org" (in en-us). https://www.c-span.org/video/?90569-1/federal-commission-droughts.
- "Agriculture Department Budget | C-SPAN.org" (in en-us). https://www.c-span.org/video/?154596-1/agriculture-department-budget.
- "Cal Aggie Alumni Association Names New Alumni Regent" (in EN). 2004-03-18. https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/cal-aggie-alumni-association-names-new-alumni-regent.
- MarketScreener. "Richard E. Rominger - Biography" (in en). https://www.marketscreener.com/business-leaders/Richard-E-Rominger-06HNSZ-E/biography/.
- "Yolo County Farm Bureau honors Rominger family of Winters" (in en-US). 2018-01-19. http://www.dailydemocrat.com/business/20180119/yolo-county-farm-bureau-honors-rominger-family-of-winters.
- "California's Drought, Climate Change and Recommendations for Action". 2009-02-10. https://civileats.com/2009/02/10/californias-drought-climate-change-and-recommendations-for-action/.
- https://www.uctv.tv,+UCTV, University of California Television-. "VIDEO: Farming Today - 9 Billion Mouths to Feed: The Future of Farming (Ep. 1)" (in en). https://www.uctv.tv/shows/Farming-Today-9-Billion-Mouths-to-Feed-The-Future-of-Farming-Ep-1-24294.
- Affairs, Office of Public (2018-09-10). "CDFA Takes Action to the Next Level with 'Scaling-Up Climate Smart Agriculture' two-day event in Sonoma and Marin Counties". https://plantingseedsblog.cdfa.ca.gov/wordpress/?p=16038.
- June 5; 2016. "Longstanding CRAE Member, Richard Rominger, Awarded UC Davis's Highest Award" (in en). http://www.aginnovations.org/post/2016-06-06/longstanding-crae-member-richard-rominger-awarded-uc-davis-s-highest-award.
- "Richard and Evelyne Rominger to receive the UC Davis Medal". 2016-05-24. https://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/ucd/richard-and-evelyne-rominger-to-receive-the-uc-davis-medal/.
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|U.S. Secretary of Agriculture
Served under: Bill Clinton
May 12, 1993 – January 20, 2001
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|