|Born||9 May 1941|
|Place of birth||Ambalangoda, Sri Lanka|
|Service/branch||Sri Lanka Army|
|Years of service||35 Years|
|Unit||25pxSri Lanka Armoured Corps|
|Commands held||Commander of the Army|
|Battles/wars||Sri Lankan Civil War|
Daluwatte was born in Ambalangoda, a coastal town in the south of Sri Lanka, to D. H. Paulis De Silva, a planter and former athlete, and D. W. Leela Somawathie. He has one sister, Malini and four brothers, Susantha, Pinsiri, Rupasiri and Dhanasiri. He received his primary education in Dharmapala Vidyalaya. Later he was educated at Ananda College Colombo. At school, he was a good sportsman. In 1957, to 1960, he captained the Ananda College Badminton Team, had been a member of the College Tennis Team in 1959 and 1960 and he was the wicket-keeper in the Ananda First XI in 196.
Military career in the Sri Lankan Army
Daluwatte joined the Sri Lanka Army in 1961 as an officer cadet. He took his military training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, United Kingdom. In the Sandhurst Military Academy, he excelled in athletics, badminton and basketball. On 1 May 1996, he was appointed as 13th Army Commander in Sri Lanka by former President Chandrika Kumaratunga. On 15 December 1998, he retired from the military service. As the commander, Daluwatte lead the Operation Riviresa against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam on Eelam War III. During his tenure in the Army he held important positions such as Chief Instructor of Officer Cadet School in ATC from 1979 to 1981, Commanding Officer,1st Reconnaissance Regiment Sri Lanka Armoured Corps,Commanding Officer of Sri Lanka Army Service Corps, Coordinating Officer Commanding Troops in Mannar, Director-Supplies and Transport, Commandant of Army Training Centre and Military Secretary, Army Headquarters. He was instrumental in establishing the Army Command and Staff College. After his retirement he was promoted to the rank of General and was appointed as the Head of the newly formed Joint Operations Command and later as the Chief of Defense Staff.
Awards & medals
- Weera Wickrama Vibhushanaya
- Rana Wickrama Padakkama
- Rana Sura Padakkama
- Vishista Seva Vibhushanaya
- Uttama Seva Padakkama
After retiring from army, he served as the Ambassador of Sri Lanka in Brazil from 2002 to 2005. Currently, he is the chairman of the Gems and Jewellery Authority Sri Lanka. Also, he is the Chancellor of the Kotalawala Defence University.
It was alleged that Daluwatte failed as a military commander and he has also obtained the esteemed Weera Wickrama Vibhushanaya Award by making a false claim and writing his own recommendation.
- List of Commander of the Army (Sri Lanka)
- Chief of the Defence Staff (Sri Lanka)
- List of Sri Lankan generals
- Sri Lankan Non Career Diplomats
- Kotalawala Defence University
- "Rohan Daluwatta: A versatile sportsman". Island.lk. 26 January 2011. http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=16845. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Sri Lanka Army - Past Army Commanders". Army.lk. http://www.army.lk/pastcommanders.php. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- Price, Susannah (1998-10-13). "Sri Lankan army hunts deserters". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/192723.stm. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "11.11.97 SLA commander predicts easy victory - again". TamilNet. 1997-11-11. http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=79&artid=7336. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- Jansz, Frederica (21 April 2002). "Cardboard hero awards himself a gallantry medal". Thesundayleader.lk. http://www.thesundayleader.lk/archive/20020421/spotlight.htm. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Rohan Daluwatte to head Gem Authority: Anil Koswatte to Laksala". Srilankamirror.com. 2011-01-12. http://www.srilankamirror.com/old/english/the-news/1337-rohan-daluwatte-to-head-gem-authority-anil-koswatte-to-laksala. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Daluwatte appointed new Chairman". Dailynews.lk. 2011-01-24. http://www.dailynews.lk/2011/01/24/news54.asp. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "It is the duty of all to work towards taking the country to a top position in the world - President". News.lk. 2011-11-23. http://www.news.lk/news/sri-lanka/827-it-is-the-duty-of-all-to-work-towards-taking-the-country-to-a-top-position-in-the-world-president. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "LTTE steps up attacks against Govt. troops". The Hindu. 2000-09-12. http://hindu.com/2000/09/12/stories/03120005.htm. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Cardboard Hero New Chairman Of Gem And Jewellery Authority | The Sunday Leader". Thesundayleader.lk. 2011-01-16. http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2011/01/16/cardboard-hero-new-chairman-of-gem-and-jewellery-authority/. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|