|Born||20 June 1912|
|Died||2 August 1993(aged 81)|
|Place of birth||Bochum|
|Place of death||Bochum|
|Years of service||1934–1945|
|Commands held||Fähnrichs-Regiment 1|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Rolf Bering (20 June 1912 – 2 August 1993) was a highly decorated Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Rolf Bering was captured by American troops in early May 1945 and was released later that month.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- in Gold
- West Wall Medal
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- Panzer Badge
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army
- German Cross in Gold (29 December 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 11 March 1945 as Major commander of Fähnrichs-Regiment 1 / Division "Märkisch Friedland" 
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 111.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.