|Royal Bahrain Naval Force|
|سلاح البحرية الملكية البحرينية|
|Active||1979 - Present|
|Size||1770 (Navy and Coastguard)|
Ministry of Defense|
Bahrain Defense Force
Invasion of Kuwait|
|Commander of the Navy||Mohammed Yousif Alasam|
The Royal Bahrain Naval Force (RBNF) (previously known as Bahrain Defense Force, Naval Branch) is the maritime branch of the Bahrain Defense Force. The current Commander of the Royal Bahrain Naval Force is Commodore Mohammed Yousif Alasam. The navy consists of 7 combat vessels, 31 patrol craft, 10 landing ships and over 700 personnel. The Fleet is based at Mina Sulman Naval Base and has a flight wing which can operate off the corvettes, consisting of two MBB BO-105 helicopters. The flagship of the RBNF is the vessel RBNS Sabha, an American-built missile frigate given to the state as a gift in 1996.
Fleet[edit | edit source]
|Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate (RBNS Sabha)||1||United States||1981 - Present||4 Harpoon SSMs, 1 MBB BO-105 shipboard helicopter, and SM-1MR SAMs.|
|Al-Manama class Lürssen FPB 62 Guided-Missile Patrol Combatants||2||Germany||1988 - Present||4 MM40 Exocets. Being upgraded with new weapon control system|
|Ahmed Al Fateh class Lürssen TNC 45 Guided-Missile Patrol Craft||4||Germany||1984 - Present||4 MM40 Exocets Being upgraded with new weapon control system|
|Al Riffa class Lürssen FPB 38 Patrol Craft||2||Germany||1982 - Present|||
|Al Jarim Swiftships 65 Patrol Boat||2||United States||1982 - Present|||
|Mark V Special Operations Craft||2||United States||?||5 more on order|
|BMT Group 18m patrol boat||6||UK||2013 - Present||Built in Turkey, option for 6 more|
|VT Group VT-Halmatic 20||4||Qatar|
|VT Group VT-Halmatic 160||6||Qatar|
|Fairey Marine Swordsman||4||United Kingdom|
|steel landing craft||4||United Arab Emirates||2009+||2 42-meter and 2 16-meter|
|Fairey Marine LCU||1||United Kingdom|
|Arab Shipbuilding and Repair Yard Company Landing craft||1||Bahrain||2016||34.5m in overall length, 1 more could be ordered|
Missiles & Torpedoes[edit | edit source]
Aircraft[edit | edit source]
Future[edit | edit source]
Sep. 8, 2017 - The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Bahrain for two 35 Meter Fast Patrol Boats. The estimated cost is $60.25 million.
Bahrain may purchase another frigate from the US, USS Robert G. Bradley (FFG-49) could be purchased in 2019 so that Bahrain has two frigates.
Bahrain has ordered 6 Vigor RB-M Fast Interceptor boats.
Bases[edit | edit source]
- Mina Salman Naval Base is a facility currently shared with the United States Navy and is used as a ship and submarine logistic support base for the entire US Fifth Fleet. It was opened in the 1980s as cargo facility and is now solely used as a naval port.
- Manama Naval Base is another key US Navy installation and formerly home to HMS Juffair. It is not used by RBNF.
- RBNF also operates a shipyard that is shared with several other neighbouring countries.
Commanders[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wertheim, Eric (2007). The Naval Institute guide to combat fleets of the world : their ships, aircraft, and systems (15th ed.). Annapolis, Md.: Naval Institute Press. pp. 37–38. ISBN 9781591149552.
- The Naval Balance of Power: The Persian Gulf Archived 2012-10-30 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". http://www.janes.com/article/69644/bahrain-to-receive-five-more-mk-v-patrol-boats.
- "BMT Partners with Ares Shipyard to Deliver Patrol Boats for Bahrain Coast Guard". http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/newsb/naval-exhibitions/2013-archive-naval-exhibitons/dsei-2013/1232-bmt-partners-with-ares-shipyard-to-deliver-patrol-boats-for-bahrain-coast-guard.html. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "ASRY construct new landing craft". http://www.newsofbahrain.com/viewNews.php?ppId=21619&pid=21,41&MNU=. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Bahrain : Armed Forces Overviews". http://www.scramble.nl/orbats/bahrain/summary. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Bahrain – 35 Meter Fast Patrol Boats - The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency". http://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/bahrain-35-meter-fast-patrol-boats. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "CBO: Navy frigate sale to Bahrain has $80M price tag". 13 July 2018. https://insidedefense.com/insider/cbo-navy-frigate-sale-bahrain-has-80m-price-tag. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Royal Bahrain Naval Force.|
- Haze Gray Bahrain Navy[dead link]
- INSS Bahrain Navy
- 掲示板 インターネット日韓文化交流 - KJCLUB - KJLAND: Photos of surface vessels of the RBNF (in Japanese)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|