|Royal New Zealand Dental Corps|
|Branch||New Zealand Army|
Ex Malo Bonum|
(From evil comes good)
The Royal New Zealand Dental Corps (RNZDC) is a corps of the New Zealand Army. The corps was initially formed on 7 November 1915 as the New Zealand Dental Corps under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Hunter, as part of New Zealand's contribution to World War I. The corps was formed from personnel who were transferred from the New Zealand Medical Corps, who were charged with ensuring the dental fitness of New Zealand troops being sent oveseas, and for the provision of emergency dental care in the field. The royal designation was adopted in 1947.
Today, the corps consists of full-time and part-time commissioned officers and soldiers who are employed in a tri-service environment, using their specialist skills and knowledge as dental officers, dental hygienists and dental assistants. The corps works in conjunction with the Royal New Zealand Army Medical Corps and the Royal New Zealand Nursing Corps to promote "health and disease prevention" and to provide "care for the wounded and sick".
Throughout the corps' history, personnel have been deployed to various operational theatres. Aside from service during World War I and World War II, the corps has deployed personnel in support of a number of operations including most recently in Afghanistan.
References[edit | edit source]
- "NZ History – Medical Units – Dental Corps". https://nzhistory.govt.nz/war/medical-units/dental-corps. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Hunter, T.A (1923). "Chapter VIII: New Zealand Dental Corps". In Drew, H.T.B. The War Effort of New Zealand. New Zealand in the First World War 1914–1918. Auckland: Whitcombe and Tombs. pp. 138–148. http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH1-Effo-t1-body-d8.html.
- "Royal New Zealand Dental Corps 100th Anniversary". Governor General of New Zealand. 6 November 2015. https://gg.govt.nz/content/royal-new-zealand-dental-corps-100th-anniversary. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- Schmidt, Andrew. "Wartime and state-supported dental care: New Zealand Dental Corps". Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/dental-care/page-3. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- "Defence Careers". http://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/search?keyword=dental. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- "Our Ranks and Corps". New Zealand Army. http://www.army.mil.nz/about-us/who-we-are/our-ranks-and-corps/default.htm. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- Anson, T.V. (October 1965). "The Royal New Zealand Dental Corps, 1915–1965". pp. 278–284. ISSN 0028-8047.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|