The Sangin airstrike refers to the killing of a large number of Afghan civilians, many of whom were women and children, in the village of Sangin in Helmand province, Afghanistan on July 23, 2010.
Early reports claim that between 45-52 residents were killed as mortar shells hit a mud house, where civilians had taken refuge from fighting. A large number of civilians including children were also injured and treated at Kandahar hospital. For weeks, US military and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) officials denied that there had been any such incident.
The Karzai government sent investigators to the scene of the incident, who concluded that 39 civilians were killed in the rocket strike, lower than the initially reported 45-52. According to their investigation all 39 dead are women or children.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Azizabad airstrike
- Deh Bala wedding party bombing
- Granai airstrike
- Kunduz airstrike
- Uruzgan helicopter attack
References[edit | edit source]
- Loyn, David (2010-07-25). "BBC News - Nato probes reports raid killed 45 Afghan civilians". Bbc.co.uk. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10756940. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- Jon Boone in Kabul and Ali Safi in Kandahar. "Helmand residents accuse NATO of deliberate attack on civilians killing 52 « RAWA News". Rawa.org. http://www.rawa.org/temp/runews/2010/07/28/helmand-residents-accuse-nato-of-deliberate-attack-on-civilians-killing-52.html. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "7 children injured in troops-militants battle in S. Afghanistan". News.xinhuanet.com. 2010-07-24. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-07/24/c_13413229.htm. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "NATO Expresses Regrets Over Afghan Civilian Deaths In Military Operation". Rttnews.com. http://www.rttnews.com/Content/GeneralNews.aspx?Node=B1&Id=1384558. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Kabul: US-led raid killed 39 civilians". Presstv.ir. http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=137579§ionid=351020403. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Demonstrators hit the streets of Kabul". Itn.co.uk. 2010-08-01. http://itn.co.uk/7907443255e78ee1c2f7ae71d04a8407.html. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Stories:Afghans protest alleged NATO civilian deaths". Australia Network News. 2010-08-02. http://australianetworknews.com/stories/201008/2970360.htm?desktop. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
[edit | edit source]
- Rethink Afghanistan Footage Exposes One of the Worst Civilian Casualty Incidents of the War
- NATO Forces in Afghanistan Can’t Deny They Killed Civilians in Sangin Anymore
- Video - BBC World News
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|