|Preceded by:||Pathfinder class|
|Succeeded by:||Boadicea class|
|In commission:||1905 - 1923|
360 ft (109.7 m) (p/p)|
381 ft (116.1 m) (o/a)
|Beam:||40 ft (12.2 m)|
|Draught:||14 ft (4.27 m)|
Two shaft TE engines|
|Range:||Carried 160 tons coal (410 tons max)|
As modified 1911/12
conning tower: 3 inch|
deck: 1.5 inch - ⅝ inch
Sentinel was originally planned to be named Inchkeith, which would have subsequently led to the class being known as the Inchkeith class, but Sentinel was renamed before the start of construction.
They were part of a larger order for eight scout cruisers, split between four dockyards, each of which designed their own ships to match the Admiralty’s specification, which was for a cruiser capable of reaching 25 knots, carrying ten 12 pounder guns, eight 3 pounder guns and two torpedo tubes. The Sentinel class cruisers were built by Vickers Limited at Barrow. The others were the Forward, Pathfinder, Adventure classes. All eight ships were sometimes known as the Sentinel class, as HMS Sentinel was the first to be laid down, first to be launched and first to be completed. They were both laid down in 1903 and completed in 1905.
The class was designed to lead destroyer flotillas, to act as scouts, lead attacks and take on enemy destroyers. But new turbine engined destroyers left them too slow to fulfill the role. The initial armament was quickly upgraded. Two extra 12 pounder quick firing guns were added, and the 3 pounders were upgraded to 6 pounder guns. Finally, in 1911-12, the 12 pounders were replaced by nine QF 4 inch guns. Both ships served during the First World War but were scrapped after the cessation of hostilities.
- HMS Sentinel - launched on 19 April 1904, scrapped in 1923.
- HMS Skirmisher - launched on 7 February 1905, scrapped in 1920.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sentinel class cruiser.|
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Jane's Fighting Ships of World War One (1919), Jane's Publishing Company
- Sentinel class in World War I
- History of the Sentinel class
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|