|Native name||Сергій Кокурін|
|Birth name||Serhiy Viktorovych Kokurin|
|Born||January 1, 1978|
|Died||18 March 2014(aged 36)|
|Place of birth||Simferopol, Ukraine, Soviet Union|
|Place of death||Simferopol, Ukraine|
|Years of service||?-2014|
|Battles/wars||2014 Simferopol incident|
Serhiy Viktorovych Kokurin (Russian: Сергей Викторович Кокурин, Ukrainian language: Сергій Вікторович Кокурін
- January 1, 1978 – March 18, 2014) was a Ukrainian soldier who was shot dead by a sniper during the assault on the Ukrainian military base in Simferopol. He was the first soldier killed during the Annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Serhiy Kokurin was born on January 1, 1978 in Simferopol, Crimean Oblast (Ukrainian SSR, USSR). On December 28, 1997 he pledged his allegiance to the Ukrainian people. During his military service Kokurin went from private to warrant officer and was the chief of his unit's logistics service.
On March 18, Kokurin was killed on watch duty during the Russian assault on the 13th Photogrammetric Center of the Central Military Topographic and Navigation Main Directorate of Operations of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. According to the Russians, he was killed a sniper, and a sniper from the same location also killed one rebel (Ruslan Kazakov) and wounded another. The Ukrainian government insists that the sniper was a soldier of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Fallen Heroes: Serhiy Kokurin, warrant officer at photogrammetric center in Simferopol". Voices of Ukraine. 22 March 2014. http://maidantranslations.com/2014/03/22/fallen-heroes-serhiy-kokurin-warrant-officer-at-photogrammetric-center-in-simferopol/.
- "Під час штурму 13-го фотограмметричного центру Головного управління оперативного забезпечення Збройних Сил України у Сімферополі загинув на посту прапорщик Сергій Вікторович Кокурін" (in uk). Ministry of Defence of Ukraine. 20 March 2014. http://www.mil.gov.ua/index.php?lang=ua&part=news&sub=read&id=33142. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "Міноборони закликає допомогти сім'ї вбитого окупантами прапорщика". UNIAN. March 20, 2014. http://www.unian.ua/politics/898703-minoboroni-zaklikae-dopomogti-simji-vbitogo-okupantami-praporschika.html.
- "Crimean self-defence man: the lost Cossack ran to my aid". KOMTV.org. 20 March 2014. Archived from the original on 22 March 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140322013639/http://en.komtv.org/355-crimean-self-defence-man-the-lost-cossack-ran-to-my-aid-video/. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "2 killed in shooting near Crimea military research center". RT. 18 March 2014. http://rt.com/news/crimea-shooting-military-center-646/.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|