Walter Sherard Vines (1890 – 1974), known as Sherard Vines, was an English writer and academic who wrote poetry, novels, and criticism.
He was born in Oxford and educated at Magdalen College School and New College, Oxford. He was published in Oxford Poetry, and took an academic position at Belfast University in 1914. He served in the British Army until 1917, when he was invalided out. Poems of his were included in the Sitwell Wheels anthologies. It was probably through Edmund Blunden that he was published in the Nation.
Starting in 1923, he taught for five years at Keio University in Tokyo where he was a colleague of Yone Noguchi. During that period he was for a time tutor to Prince Chichibu, and also became friends with author and poet William Plomer, who thought Vines a "poet of distinction". Vines contributed while there to Edmund Blunden's Oriental Literary Times.
Vines retired in 1952 and died on 12 April 1974.
Works[edit | edit source]
- The Two Worlds (1916) poems
- The Kaleidoscope (1921) poems
- The Pyramid (1926) poems
- A Basic Guide to English Composition (1928) with G. B. Sansom
- Triforium (1928) poems
- Humours Unreconciled (1928) novel
- Movements In Modern English Poetry and Prose (1927) criticism
- The Course of English Classicism from the Tudor to the Victorian Age (1930) criticism
- Yofuku: or Japan in Trousers (1931) travel
- Return, Belphegor! (1932) fantasy novel
- Whips and Scorpions: Specimens of Modern Satiric Verse 1914-1931 (1932) anthology
- Georgian Satirists (1934) criticism
- Green to Amber (1941) novel
- 100 Years of English Literature (1950) criticism
- Antony and Cleopatra (The Warwick Shakespeare) editor with A. E. Morgan
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Brian Stableford,"Devil", in The A to Z of Fantasy Literature, Scarecrow Press,Plymouth. 2005. ISBN 0-8108-6829-6 (109-110)
- Alexander, Peter F. (1989). William Plomer: A Biography. Oxford University Press. p. 143. ISBN 978-0-19-212243-8. https://books.google.com/books?id=CwkhAAAAMAAJ. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
[edit | edit source]
- Lua error in Module:Internet_Archive at line 573: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Works by S at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Sherard Vines at Library of Congress Authorities, with 17 catalogue records (mainly under 'Vines, Sherard, 1890–' without '1974', previous page of browse report)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|