|Born||15 April 1911|
|Died||9 July 1943(aged 32)|
|Place of birth||Kiel|
|Place of death||North Atlantic|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)|
|Years of service||1931–1943|
torpedo boat Seeadler
Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee
destroyer Z4 Richard Beitzen
torpedo boat G-11|
torpedo boat Albatros
torpedo boat Löwe
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Siegfried Strelow (15 April 1911 – 15 July 1943) was a German U-boat commander in World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German language: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes), awarded for extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. He and the entire crew of U-435 were killed in action west of Figueira da Foz Municipality, Portugal, in position when their boat was sunk by 4 depth charges from a Royal Air Force (RAF) Vickers Wellington bomber of No. 179 Squadron RAF.
Summary of career[edit | edit source]
Ships attacked[edit | edit source]
As a U-boat commander of U-435 Strelow is credited with the sinking of nine merchant ships for a total of 53,712 gross register tons (GRT), further sinking one auxiliary warship of 2,456 metric tons (2,417 long tons; 2,707 short tons) and three warships of 855 t (841 long tons; 942 short tons).
|30 March 1942||Effingham||USA||6,421||Sunk|
|13 April 1942||El Occidente||Panama||6,008||Sunk|
|13 April 1942||Harpalion||United Kingdom||5,486||Sunk|
|20 September 1942||HMS Leda (J 93)||United Kingdom||835||Sunk|
|22 September 1942||Bellingham||USA||5,345||Sunk|
|22 September 1942||Grey Ranger||United Kingdom||3,313||Sunk|
|22 September 1942||Ocean Voice||United Kingdom||7,174||Sunk|
|29 December 1942||Empire Shackleton||United Kingdom||7,068||Sunk|
|29 December 1942||Norse King||Norway||5,701||Sunk|
|30 December 1942||HMS Fidelity (D57)||United Kingdom||2,456||Sunk|
|30 December 1942||HMS LCV-752||United Kingdom||10||Sunk|
|30 December 1942||HMS LCV-754||United Kingdom||10||Sunk|
|17 March 1943||William Eustis||USA||7,196||Sunk|
Awards[edit | edit source]
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award (2 October 1936)
- Sudetenland Medal (1 August 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Destroyer War Badge (19 February 1941)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (15 April 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 27 October 1942 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-435
References[edit | edit source]
- Busch and Röll 2003, p. 270.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 415.
- Busch, Rainer and Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939-1945 - Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 3-8132-0515-0.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
[edit | edit source]
- "Siegfried Strelow". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/men/strelow.htm. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Siegfried Strelow" (in German). Lexikon der Wehrmacht. http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/S/StrelowS.htm. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|