|Born||15 December 1916|
|Died||15 April 2005(aged 88)|
|Place of birth||Berlin|
|Place of death||Osnabrück|
Nazi Germany (to 1945)|
|Years of service||1936–1945|
Kapitän zur See of the Reserves (Bundesmarine)
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves|
Siegfried Wuppermann (15 December 1916 – 15 April 2005) was a Kapitänleutnant with the Kriegsmarine during World War II and later served with the Bundesmarine. He was a recipient of the coveted Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves.
Military career[edit | edit source]
Siegfried Wuppermann was born on 15 December 1916 in Berlin. He joined the Kriegsmarine in 1936 and was promoted to Leutnant zur See in 1938 and as adjutant was transferred to the U-boat-Schulflottille.
Wuppermann joined the Schnellboot service in March 1939 and took command of a Schnellboot in the 1. Schnellbootflottille. During the Invasion of Poland he participated on patrols in the North Sea, Baltic Sea and in the English Channel.
In early November 1940 he took charge of a Gruppe in the 3. Schnellbootflottille and takes command of Schnellboot "S 60" on 21 December 1940. Siegfried saw action with this boat near Boulogne. In February 1941 he became acting commander of the 3. Schnellbootflottille because Friedrich Kemnade was on vacation. Wuppermann led a patrol on 7 March 1941 against Allied convoys which leads to the destruction of two destroyers and three merchant vessels.
On "S 60" he participates in Operation Barbarossa. On 21 June 1941, one day before the invasion of the Soviet Union, he operated against the harbor of Windau laying 30 mines. Siegfried Wuppermann received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 3 August 1941 during these battles.
After the 3. Schnellbootflottille was transferred to the Mediterranean to guard the Axis convoys to North Africa. Wuppermann receives the coveted Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross on 14 April 1943.
Kapitänleutnant Wuppermann helps establish the 21. and 22. Schnellbootflottillen in Eckernförde in May 1943 and is then transferred to the Stab of the Führer der Schnellboote. In March 1945 he takes command of the 1. Schnellboot Division and fights with this unit in the Adriatic Sea.
After the war he joins the Bundesmarine. Siegfried Wuppermann died on 15 April 2005 in Osnabrück.
Awards[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross
- 2nd Class (20 April 1940)
- 1st Class (28 May 1940)
- Fast Attack Craft War Badge with Diamonds (10 June 1943)
- Silver Medal of Military Valor (Italy, 24 January 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
Wehrmachtbericht reference[edit | edit source]
|Date||Original German Wehrmachtbericht wording||Direct English translation|
|Sunday, 9 March 1941||Bei dem im gestrigen Wehrmachtsbericht bekanntgegebenen großen Erfolg der Schnellbootwaffe haben sich die unter der Führung des Korvettenkapitäns Petersen, des Kapitänleutnants Birnbacher und des Oberleutnants zur See Wuppermann stehenden Schnellbootverbände besonders ausgezeichnet.||In yesterdays in the Wehrmacht report announced huge success of the fast attack craft force, have fast attack craft units under the leadership of Lieutenant Commander Petersen, the Captain Lieutenant Birnbacher and Lieutenant at Sea Wuppermann particularly distinguished themselves.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Die Wehrmachtberichte 1939–1945 Band 1, p. 441.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Navy]. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 978-3-87943-355-1.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- (in German) Die Wehrmachtberichte 1939–1945 Band 1, 1. September 1939 bis 31. Dezember 1941. München: Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag. 1985. ISBN 3-423-05944-3.