|2019 Sinjar clashes|
|Part of the Iraqi insurgency (2017–present)|
Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK)|
Sinjar Resistance Units (YBŞ)
|Casualties and losses|
|3 killed||2 killed, 5 wounded|
|Many injuries reported on both sides.|
Clashes[edit | edit source]
Clashes between Iraqi forces and PKK-affiliated militants began in the Hasawik area of Sinun on 17 March 2019, where two Iraqi soldiers died and five YBŞ miliatans were wounded. The clashes broke out after the militants were denied passage through an army checkpoint and they then attempted to drive through it, driving into one soldier and shooting at the checkpoint.
Additional clashes broke out on 19 March, leaving one Iraqi soldier dead. The fatal clashes took place in Om Diban area, near the Iraq–Syria border, and injuries were reported on both sides in addition to the one death. In Bab Shilo area, Iraq deployed three brigades and demanded that the YBŞ evacuate the area. The YBŞ refused to withdraw and clashes subsequently broke out.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Sinjar clashes (2017)
- April 2017 Turkish airstrikes in Syria and Iraq
- Turkish strikes on Sinjar (2018)
References[edit | edit source]
- "Iraqi forces, Yezidi PKK-affiliated militia clash near Syrian border". 18 March 2019. http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/9aacb18c-10c8-4f46-9c2b-3e995ccb083f. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "Two Iraqi soldiers killed in clashes with Kurdish PKK: military". 17 March 2019. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-security-idUSKCN1QY0XU.
- "Sinjar tension cools as local Yezidi militia meet with Baghdad". 21 March 2019. http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/6762890d-86c4-4379-b505-dd17fdabd2aa. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "Iraqi soldier killed in clashes with PKK terrorists". https://www.aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/iraqi-soldier-killed-in-clashes-with-pkk-terrorists/1422802.
- "Iraq deploys 3 army brigades to Sinjar, new clashes with Yezidi fighters affiliated to PKK". http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/228a623f-3d8d-4925-baf1-3fc1b835e57a.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|