On the territory village of Stare Kiejkuty, Poland, is a restricted military area that is the seat of (postal service name, simply) Jednostka Wojskowa 2669 (military unit 2669), Ośrodek Szkolenia Agencji Wywiadu (Agencja Wywiadu Intelligence Agency Training Center)" Since 2005 it has attracted scrutiny as being a black site involved in the CIA's program of extraordinary rendition.
About the baseEdit
The facility's military uses go back at least as far as the Second World War, when it served as an outpost of the Nazi German SD (the intelligence service of the SS) and Abwehr. The airstrip that would later be expanded into the modern Szczytno-Szymany International Airport, 20 km away, originally served as a landing strip for Luftwaffe planes for bombing raids on Warsaw. In 1968, it would be used by the Soviet Army to plan operations to crush the Prague Spring.
Its use by Polish intelligence dates to the fall 1971; in the Communist era, it appeared on maps as a non-descript holiday resort. It had a very special status, however, having been the only intelligence training facility in the Eastern Bloc located outside the Soviet Union.
Signs are posted nearby reminding casual visitors of prohibitions against taking photographs, and journalists have reported having their cameras searched (and memory cards confiscated) when taking pictures near the facility.
On December 15, 2005, Zbigniew Siemiątkowski, the former head of the current Polish national intelligence agency, Agencja Wywiadu, confirmed that near the village of Stare Kiejkuty facility there exists two "internal zones" to which CIA officers have access; one of these (referred to as Strefa B) is officially the home of OSAW. Other Polish intelligence officials have confirmed that American personnel associated with the facility have been known to reside in the area for several months at a time, going back 5 or 6 years.
- ↑ http://www.unknownnews.org/0512161210-CIA.html
- ↑ Hunt for CIA 'black site' in Poland, BBC, 28 December 2006
- ↑ OST:BLOG: Die polnische Unschuld ist unantastbar!
- ↑ "Wizyty CIA w Kiejkutach to forma współpracy". http://serwisy.gazeta.pl/metroon/1,0,3070115.html.
- ↑ "Al-Kaida-Häftlinge offenbar in Polen verhört". http://www.stern.de/politik/ausland/:Extra-CIA-Macht-Amerikas/551562.html.
- http://www.amnistia.net/news/articles/guerirak/jerzykos/jerzykos_715.htm - polish
- http://www.przekroj.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=787&Itemid=480 - polish
- http://binnenland21.web-log.nl/binnenland21/2005/12/luchthaven_in_v.html - Dutch
- http://mariusz-armia.blog.onet.pl/ - polish military blog
- http://www.ostblog.de/2006/01/die_polnische_unschuld_ist_una.php - ostblog post, in German
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|