|Born||April 3, 1840|
|Died||March 16, 1919(aged 78)|
|Place of death||Pennsylvania|
|Buried at||Spring Hill Cemetery, Spring Hill, Pennsylvania|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Unit||Company A, 141st Pennsylvania Infantry|
|Battles/wars||Battle of the Wilderness|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Sergeant Stephen Rought (April 3, 1840 – March 16, 1919) was a soldier from Pennsylvania who fought in the American Civil War. Rought received the United States' highest medal for bravery during combat, the Medal of Honor, for his action during the Battle of the Wilderness in Wilderness, Virginia on 6 May 1864. The medal was presented to him on 1 December 1864.
Rought was born April 3, 1840 and enlisted into Company A, 141st Pennsylvania Infantry from Crampton, Pennsylvania. While fighting in the Battle of the Wilderness on 6 May 1864 Sergeant Rought captured of flag of the Confederate 13th North Carolina Infantry. For his actions during this battle, he received the United States militiaries highest, and at that time only, medal for bravery in combat, the Medal of Honor on 1 December 1864.
Medal of Honor citation
- List of American Civil War Medal of Honor recipients: Q–S
- List of Medal of Honor recipients for the Battle of the Wilderness
- "Medal of Honor recipients". American Civil War (M-R). United States Army Center of Military History. 13 August 2013. http://www.history.army.mil/moh/civilwar_mr.html#ROUGHT. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "Stephen Rought". Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=2891. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "Stephen Rought". Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7220174. Retrieved 23 May 2017.