Steven David addresses the Press, following a hearing, at Guantanamo, on June 5th, 2008
1957 (age 63–64)|
Allen County, Indiana
|Occupation||military officer, judge|
|Known for||Indiana Supreme Court, military service|
|Predecessor||Theodore R. Boehm|
Steven H. David (born 1957) is the 106th Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court. David previously served as a lawyer and military officer. He retired from the United States Army Reserve in September 2010 with the rank of colonel.
Justice David was born in Allen County, Indiana, and raised in Bartholomew County, Indiana.
He graduated magna cum laude from Murray State University as a Distinguished Military Graduate on an R.O.T.C. scholarship. He earned his law degree from Robert H. McKinney School of Law. He is also a graduate of the Indiana Judicial College and the Graduate Program for Indiana Judges.
David served as a Chief Defense Counsel for prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp when they were tried by the Guantanamo military commission. While serving in that capacity, David complained in 2008 that he lacked sufficient defense lawyers and other resources to defend the prisoners. David personally represented Salim Ahmed Hamdan, Osama bin Laden's driver. After the commission convicted Hamdan, David broadly criticized the commission's loose procedures, including acceptance of hearsay and secret testimony, restrictions on media coverage, and suppression of evidence of abusive interrogations. He called for scrapping the commission system.
Justice David wrote the majority opinion in Barnes vs. Indiana.
- Dwight Thurner (2010-10-02). "New Ind. Supreme Court justice swearing-in Oct. 18". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on October 2, 2010. https://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chicagotribune.com%2Fnews%2Fchi-ap-in-supremecourt-newj%2C0%2C1478863.story&date=2010-10-02. Retrieved 2010-10-02. "A decorated Army officer who once served as chief defense counsel for Guantanamo Bay detainees will be sworn in as a justice of the Indiana Supreme Court on Oct. 18 at the Statehouse in Indianapolis."
- "Daniels: Steven David to interpret rather than invent our laws". The Journal Gazette. 2010-09-17. http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100917/BLOGS01/100919568/1044/LOCAL08. Retrieved 2010-10-02. "Governor Mitch Daniels today announced he has selected Boone County Circuit Court Judge Steven H. David as the next member of the Indiana Supreme Court. David will replace Justice Theodore R. Boehm, who will retire from the court on September 30."
- "History unfolds". The Wire (Guantanamo). 2008-06-06. p. 12. http://www.jtfgtmo.southcom.mil/wire/WirePDF/v9/Issue15v9.pdf. Retrieved 2008-06-10. [dead link]
- "Justice Steven H. David". Justice Biographies. Indiana Judicial Branch. http://www.in.gov/judiciary/citc/3290.htm. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- William Glaberson (February 13, 2008). "Doubts as Six Face Death over September 11". The Sydney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/doubts-as-six-face-death-over-september-11/2008/02/12/1202760302022.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- William Glaberson (April 10, 2008). "New Roadblocks Delay Tribunals at Guantánamo". International New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/10/washington/10gitmo.html?_r=0. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- "Capital Cases pn Kangaroo Courts". The Boston Globe. February 25, 2008. http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/editorials/articles/2008/02/25/capital_cases_in_kangaroo_courts/?page=full. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- "Guantanamo: Justice Mocked". The Times. London. August 9, 2008. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article4488826.ece. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- Hoskins, Michael. "New justice joins the Indiana Supreme Court". https://www.theindianalawyer.com/articles/24988-new-justice-joins-the-indiana-supreme-court. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "Justice Steven David, '82, to Deliver IU McKinney Commencement Address". Indiana University - Robert H. McKinney School of Law. https://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/news/releases/2017/05/justice-steven-david-82-to-deliver-iu-mckinney-commencement-address.html. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
Theodore R. Boehm
|Associate Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|