|Submarine Squadron Six|
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Navy|
|Part of||Commander, Submarine Fleet Atlantic|
|Capt. Carl Hartsfield|
Submarine Squadron 6 ( also known as SUBRON 6) is a squadron of submarines in the United States Navy based at Norfolk, Virginia under the command of Capt. Carl Hartsfield. The Squadron uses Los Angeles-class and Virginia-class submarines.
Submarines in Squadron[edit | edit source]
|USS Helena||SSN-725||Los Angeles-class|
|USS Newport News||SSN-750||Los Angeles-class|
|USS Albany||SSN-753||Los Angeles|
|USS John Warner||SSN-785||Virginia-class|
Mission[edit | edit source]
Submarine Squadron Six exercises operational control of Los Angeles-class attack submarines and Virginia-class submarines home ported in Norfolk, Virginia. The squadron is responsible for preparing submarine crews in all facets of operations, including tactical and operational readiness for war, inspection and monitoring duties, nuclear and radiological safety, and development and control of submarine operating schedules. SUBRON SIX also is responsible for matters pertaining to new submarine construction and for coordinating all coordinating all submarine operations in the Virginia Capes Operating Areas, including logistical support and schedule deconfliction. In 2014, then-current commander, Paul Snodgrass stated, "The primary job at Squadron 6 is to train, mentor and certify crews for deployment. This broad range of responsibilities would be impossible without the dedication and hard work the squadron's staff of Sailors and civilians who eat, drink and breathe submarining".
Consolidation with Submarine Squadron 8[edit | edit source]
On April 28, 2011, Submarine Squadrons 6 and 8 merged under the command of Submarine Squadron 6.
Resources[edit | edit source]
- "Submarine Squadron 6". United States Navy. http://www.public.navy.mil/subfor/hq/Pages/CSS6.aspx. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Polmar, Norman (2001). The Naval Institute Guide to the Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet (17 ed.). Annapolis, MD: U.S. Naval Institute. p. 37. ISBN 1-55750-656-6.
- Copeland, Kevin (6 October 2012). "Submarine Squadron Six Welcomes new commander". United States Navy. http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=70000. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Copeland, Kevin (6 August 2014). "Submarine Squadron 6 Changes Command". United States Navy. http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=82536. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Copeland, Kevin (6 May 2011). "Norfolk Submarine Squadrons Consolidate". Navy News Service. NNS110506-13. http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=60062. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|