Terry A. Francois (c. 1922 – June 9, 1989) was an African American attorney, civil rights activist, and politician. He served as San Francisco chapter president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and became the first African American to serve on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
Born in New Orleans, Francois obtained his bachelor's degree from Xavier University in 1940. He attended Atlanta University, where he earned a master's degree in business. Francois joined the United States Marine Corps, serving as a platoon sergeant in World War II. After the war, Francois moved to San Francisco, where he attended the University of California, Hastings College of the Law and received his law degree in 1949.
Francois protested unfair practices against blacks in housing. He was elected as the San Francisco chapter president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. He also served on the board of the San Francisco Urban League. In private practice, Francois represented Margherite Mays, the wife of Willie Mays.
Francois was named to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1964 by Mayor John Shelley, becoming the first African American to serve on the board. He was elected to his own term in 1967. He was re-elected in 1971 and again in 1975. After San Francisco transitioned to supervisor elections based on districts, rather than at-large elections, Francois resigned from the Board of Supervisors in 1978 to return to private practice.
- "T.A. Francois; Rights Lawyer, Ex-S.F. Supervisor – Los Angeles Times". Los Angeles Times. June 11, 1989. http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-11/news/mn-3189_1_san-francisco-housing-authority-rights-lawyer-supervisors. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- The Miami News – Google News Archive Search
- The Afro American – Google News Archive Search
- Washington Afro-American – Google News Archive Search
- St. Petersburg Times – Google News Archive Search
- APPublished: June 13, 1989 (1989-06-13). "Terry A. Francois, Lawyer, 67 – New York Times". Nytimes.com. https://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/13/obituaries/terry-a-francois-lawyer-67.html. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- LES LEDBETTER Special to The New York Times (1977-05-24). "SAN FRANCISCO VOTE TO TEST NEW MAYOR - August Referendum Could Force Moscone to Run Again After Only 2 Years of 4-Year Term - Article - NYTimes.com". Select.nytimes.com. https://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F5081EF8395A167493C6AB178ED85F438785F9. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "News Archives - sacbee.com". Nl.newsbank.com. 1988-11-01. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=SB&p_theme=sb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB0D89C19DBF107&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|