|"They All Sang "Annie Laurie" (the Song That Reaches Ev'ry Heart)"|
|Label||Frank K. Root & Co.|
|Composer||F. Henri Klickmann|
|Lyricist||J. Will Callahan|
"They All Sang 'Annie Laurie' (the Song That Reaches Ev'ry Heart)" is a World War I era song released in 1915. J. Will Callahan wrote the lyrics. F. Henri Klickmann composed the music. The song was published by Frank K. Root & Co. of Chicago, Illinois. On the cover of the sheet music is a group of soldiers singing around a camp fire. The image of a woman can be seen forming in the smoke. The song was written for voice and piano.
The song starts with group of soldiers gathered around a camp fire. They each are struggling with feelings of loneliness, and are missing their significant others back at home. One of the soldiers, tearing up, suggests they sing a song. In the end, they sing the Scottish song "Annie Laurie" together. The chorus is as follows:
- There was one song of Nora,
- darling from Tipperary, so far away
- And there was one song of English Mary
- With blue eyes so bright and gay
- And then from each throat
- One song came ringing
- That caused the tears from their eyes to start
- For they all sang "Annie Laurie"
- The song that reaches ev'ry heart
- ↑ Vogel, Frederick G. (1995). World War I Songs: A History and Dictionary of Popular American Patriotic Tunes, with Over 300 Complete Lyrics. Jefferson: McFarland & Company, Inc.. p. 248. ISBN 0-89950-952-5.
- ↑ Parker, Bernard S. (2007). World War I Sheet Music. 2. Jefferson: McFarland & Company, Inc.. p. 684. ISBN 978-0-7864-2799-4.
- ↑ "They all sang "Annie Laurie": the song that reaches ev'ry heart". Gonzaga University Digital Collections. http://digital.gonzaga.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p15486coll3/id/40970/rec/28.
- ↑ "They all sang Annie Laurie: the song that reaches ev'ry heart". University of South Carolina. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/jbgrtwrsm/id/4106.
- ↑ "They all sang Annie Laurie". Mississippi State University. http://digital.library.msstate.edu/cdm/ref/collection/SheetMusic/id/28261.
- ↑ "They all sang Annie Laurie: the song that reaches ev'ry heart". The University of Alabama. http://acumen.lib.ua.edu/u0004_0000002_0000911/image/u0004_0000002_0000911_0004?page=1&limit=40.
- ↑ "They all sang Annie Laurie: (the song that reaches ev'ry heart)". OCLC WorldCat. http://www.worldcat.org/title/they-all-sang-annie-laurie-the-song-that-reaches-evry-heart/oclc/25422283&referer=brief_results.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|