|Third Battle of Komárom|
|Part of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848|
|Hungarian Revolutionary Army|| Austrian Empire
|Commanders and leaders|
| Artúr Görgei|
| Julius Jacob von Haynau
|Total: 43,347 men|
- I. corps: 8573
- II. corps: 5925
- III. corps: 7766
- VII. corps: 11,046
- VIII. corps: 5702
- Other units: 4335
|Total: 56,787 men
- I. corps: 18,224
- III. corps units: 4923
- Reserve corps: 15,008
- Cavalry division: 4254
- Panyutyin division: 11,672
- Other units: 2706
|Casualties and losses|
|Total: 400/500/800/1500 men||Total: 813 men
- 124 dead
- 608 wounded
- 81 missing and captured
The main aim of the third Battle of Komárom was to break through Haynau's blockade. Klapka took over the command of Görgey's army because of Görgey's injury. The Hungarian Government gave an order to the army to advance towards Maros. Görgey didn't follow the command because Haynau's army blocked the way south. The government gave a new order and on 11 July the Hungarian army started to attack the Austrians. New Hungarian troops arrived under the command of Ármin Görgey, and from Bátorkeszi under József Nagysándor.
The Hungarian army (comprising 58 infantry battalions, 68 cavalry battalions, and 200 cannon) were under the command of Colonel Aschermann, Poeltenberg, Leiningen, Nagysándor and General Pikéthy. The right flank fought with Schlik's army. Although Pikéthy was successful, the Hungarians could not turn this success to their advantage. At Csém there was a fierce artillery fight with great losses. Nagysándor couldn't win against the Austrian cavalry.
The battle finished at 5 pm with the retreat of the Hungarian troops. The Austrians lost 800 men, the Hungarians 1,500. This battle was the bloodiest fight during the revolution. The battle ended with no decisive victory to either side, even though it was the bloodiest of the entire Revolution.
- (in Hungarian) Az 1848–1849-es szabadságharc története ("The history of the Hungarian War of Independence of 1848–1849). Budapest. ISBN 963-8218-20-7.
- Bóna, Gábor (1987) (in Hungarian). Tábornokok és törzstisztek a szabadságharcban 1848–49 ("Generals and Staff Officers in the War of Independence 1848–1849"). Budapest: Zrínyi Katonai Kiadó. pp. 430. ISBN 963-326-343-3.
- Hermann, Róbert (2001) (in Hungarian). Az 1848–1849-es szabadságharc hadtörténete ("Military History of the Hungarian War of Independence of 1848–1849"). Budapest: Korona Kiadó. pp. 424. ISBN 963-9376-21-3.
- Hermann, Róbert (2004) (in Hungarian). Az 1848–1849-es szabadságharc nagy csatái ("Great battles of the Hungarian War of Independence of 1848–1849"). Budapest: Zrínyi. pp. 408. ISBN 963-327-367-6.
- Pusztaszeri, László (1984) (in Hungarian). Görgey Artúr a szabadságharcban ("Artúr Görgey in the War of Independence"). Budapest: Magvető Könyvkiadó. pp. 784. ISBN 963-14-0194-4.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|