|Thomas Alfred Jones|
Memorial in Victoria Park, Widnes
|Born||25 December 1880|
|Died||30 January 1956(aged 75)|
|Place of birth||Runcorn, Cheshire|
|Place of death||Runcorn|
|Buried at||Runcorn Cemetery|
|Unit||1st Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment|
|Battles/wars||World War I|
Thomas Alfred Jones, VC, DCM (25 December 1880 – 30 January 1956) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.
Jones was born in Runcorn, Cheshire, on 25 December 1880, and was a private in the 1st Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment, British Army during the First World War. He was known affectionately locally as 'Todger' Jones.
On 25 September 1916, during the Battle of Morval, Jones performed an act of bravery for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross. He was with his company covering the advance in front of a village, when he noticed an enemy sniper 200 yards (183 m) away. He left his trench on his own, and crossed no man's land without covering fire. Although one bullet went through his helmet and another through his coat, he returned the sniper's fire and killed him. Near the enemy trench, he saw two more Germans firing on him while simultaneously displaying a white flag. Jones shot them both. Upon reaching the enemy trench, he found several occupied dug-outs and single-handedly disarmed 102 Germans. Three or four were officers, and the entire trench was taken by Jones and his comrades.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Private Thomas Alfred (Todger) Jones VC". Halton British Legion. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/haltonrbl/haltonrbl/todger_jones.htm. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- ↑ "Victoria Cross for Runcorn Private". C C Publishing. http://www.cc-publishing.co.uk/Archives/todger.html. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- ↑ "Thomas Alfred Jones". findsgrave.com. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8025818. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- ↑ "Grave Location for Holders of the Victoria Cross in the county of Cheshire". Iain Stewart. http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/stewart/cheshire.htm. Retrieved 30 December 2011.
- Thompson, Dave (2002). "I Laughed Like Blazes: The Life of Private Thomas 'Todger' Jones, VC, DCM". Dave Thompson.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|