|Birth name||Thord C:son Bonde|
|Born||17 March 1900|
|Died||18 October 1969(aged 69)|
|Place of birth||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Place of death||Danderyd, Sweden|
|Years of service||1920–1963|
Svea Life Guards (1950–53)
VII. Military Area (1955)
III. Military Area (1955–57)
Chief of Army (1957–63)
Carl Bonde (father)|
Peder Bonde (half-brother)
General Count Thord C:son (Carlsson) Bonde af Björnö (17 March 1900 – 18 October 1969) was a Swedish officer. He was Chief of Army from 1957 to 1963.
Bonde became second lieutenant in the Life Regiment Hussars (K 3) in 1920 and captain of the General Staff in 1932. He was promoted to major in 1941, lieutenant colonel in 1943 and was military attaché in Washington, D.C. from 1943 to 1945. He was promoted to colonel in 1946 and became head of Section 1 and Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff the same year. Bonde was Chief of Staff of United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) from May 1948 to July 1948 when Åge Lundström succeeded him.
He was second-in-command of the Svea Life Guards (I 1) from 1950 to 1953 and head of the Swedish Defence University from 1953 to 1955. Bonde was promoted to major general in 1954. Bonde was the military commander of the VII. Military Area in 1955 and the III. Military Area from 1955 to 1957 when he was promoted to lieutenant general. He was Chief of Army from 1957 to 1963 and was appointed general upon his retirement in 1963.
Bonde was head of His Royal Majesty's staff from 1963 to 1969 and chairman of the Directorate of the House of the Nobility (Riddarhusdirektionen) from 1965. He became a member of Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences in 1945.
In 1926, Bonde married Anna-Greta Sjöberg (1900–1983), the daughter of the state agricultural engineer A. L. G. Sjöberg and his wife. He was the father of Birgitta (born 1927), Margaretha (born 1931) and Claes (born 1941).
Awards and decorationsEdit
- Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Sword
- Commander of the Order of Vasa
- Knight of the Order of the Polar Star
- Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Lion of Finland
- Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav
- Commander of the Legion of Merit
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Thord Bonde.|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Lagerström, Sten, ed (1968) (in Swedish). Vem är det: svensk biografisk handbok. 1969. Stockholm: Norstedt. p. 124. http://runeberg.org/vemardet/1969/0140.html.
- ↑ "UNITED NATIONS TRUCE SUPERVISION ORGANISATION 60th ANNIVERSARY" (PDF). UNTSO News Magazine. United Nations. p. 23. http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/missions/untso/documents/untso_60_anniversary.pdf.
- ↑ Olsson, Kjell. "Thord Carlsson-Bonde" (in Swedish). Gotland militärhistoria & Gotlands trupper. http://www.tjelvar.se/biografica/akter-1/1677.htm.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harnesk, Paul, ed (1962) (in Swedish). Vem är vem? 1, Stor-Stockholm (2nd ed.). Stockholm: Vem är vem. p. 183. http://runeberg.org/vemarvem/sthlm62/0207.html.
Carl August Ehrensvärd
|Chief of Army|
| Succeeded by|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|