|Type 092 submarine|
|Builders:||Bohai Shipyard, Huludao|
|Operators:||People's Liberation Army Navy|
|Succeeded by:||Type 094 (Jin class)|
|Displacement:||6,500 tons, 7,000 tons submerged.|
|Propulsion:||1 × pressurized-water nuclear reactor, 58MW; 2 × steam turbines; 1 shaft.|
|Test depth:||300 m|
|Armament:||6 × 533 mm torpedo tubes (bow); missiles - 12 JL-1A SLBMs.|
The 6,500-ton Type 092 Daqingyu (United States Department of Defense designation Xia-class, Chinese designation 09-II) submarine was the first ballistic missile-carrying, nuclear-powered submarine class (SSBN) deployed by the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy, and the first SSBN designed and built in Asia. She was designed by Peng Shilu (
A second hull is thought to have been completed in 1982, however this is debatable. There is little information regarding the history of this ship if in fact it actually existed. It is suggested, though not confirmed, that this second Type 092 was lost in an accident in 1985.
The 092 has undergone numerous refits, currently featuring a new black paint, possible quieting technologies, French-designed sonar, and the improved longer ranged JL-1A SLBM. It is reported that the 092 has not sailed beyond Chinese regional waters.
The Xia is aging however and a new nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine, the Type 094, has been developed and deployed by the People's Liberation Army Navy. The US Defense Intelligence Agency lists the Xia-Class as being "Not Operational." While its capability is still being questioned, Xia made its world wide debut on April 23, 2009 celebrating the 60th anniversary of PLA Navy's founding.
- Andrew S. Erickson and Lyle J. Goldstein: CHINA’S FUTURE NUCLEAR SUBMARINE FORCE - Insights from Chinese Writings, Naval War College Review, Winter 2007, Vol. 60, No. 1, p55-79.
- Type 092 Xia Class SSBN
- http://news.xinhuanet.com/newscenter/2009-04/23/content_11242732.htm Xinhua News Agency, April 23rd 2009 - Chinese Nuclear Subs Debut at the Show
- http://www.worldjournal.com/pages/full_news?article-%E9%9D%92%E5%B3%B6%E5%A4%A7%E9%96%B1%E5%85%B5%20%E6%A0%B8%E6%BD%9B%E8%89%A6%E4%BA%AE%E7%9B%B8%20=&page_label=bTop_stories&id=2428794-%E9%9D%92%E5%B3%B6%E5%A4%A7%E9%96%B1%E5%85%B5+%E6%A0%B8%E6%BD%9B%E8%89%A6%E4%BA%AE%E7%9B%B8&widget=push&instance=hot_world2&open=& April 23rd 2009, World Journal Newspaper - Qingdao Military Parade, Nuclear Subs show up
- http://mytv.tvb.com/news/newsat630/22581 April 23rd 2009 - HKTVB 6:30PM News
- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6155530.ece The Times, April 23rd 2009 - ‘Secret’ submarines lead show of China’s naval might
- http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13527979 April 23rd 2009, The Economist - Distant horizons
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|