|Type||Main battle tank|
|Place of origin||China|
|Manufacturer||First Inner Mongolia Machinery Factory|
|Armor||Type 96: Composite armor (classified)
Type 96A: Modular applique armor and ERA plates on hull front
|125 mm smoothbore gun, capable of firing ATGM and depleted uranium round|
|7.62 mm coaxial machine gun|
12.7 mm air-defence machine gun
780 hp (582 kW)
The Type 96 (Chinese: 96式; pinyin: Jiǔliù shì) or ZTZ-96 is a Chinese Second/Third Generation main battle tank (MBT). Based on the Type 88 design, the Type 96 entered service with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in 1997.
History[edit | edit source]
China's tank development can be divided into three generations. The first generation the Type 59, a locally manufactured copy of the Soviet T-54A and its derivatives. The second-generation main battle tank started with the Type 80 and ended with the Type 88/Type 96. The third generation begun with the Type 98 tank.
With the failure of first-generation tanks to meet the PLA's demands and the appearance of the T-72 tank in Russia, China continued development of a new MBT. This led to the WZ-122, Type 80 and Type 88 projects. Only the Type 88 saw service in PLA units. The PLA realized that the Type 88 was insufficient to reach parity with contemporary designs after the Gulf War. Hence, the Type 88 was upgraded to the Type 96 which was eventually upgraded into the Type 96A standard.
International Tank Biathlon[edit | edit source]
In 2014, China entered the Type 96A in the Russian-hosted tank biathlon where it competed against the Russian T-72B3, clinching third place. China participated again in 2015, coming in second place.
Deployment[edit | edit source]
The Type 96 is the PLA's main armored firepower in hilly island terrain (e.g. Taiwan). 36 tanks are deployed in a battalion and 10 tanks are deployed in a company.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Type 96[edit | edit source]
Domestic version of Type 85II-AP. Also called Type 88C.
Type 96A[edit | edit source]
"Arrow shaped" modular armor similar to the Type 99 is installed on the turret front. The Type 96A is a third-generation upgrade of the Type 96. Its internal electronics may have been upgraded to Type 99 standards. The Type 96A can be distinguished from the Type 99 by the driver's position of the left side of the hull. ERA was added on front upper glacis. The vehicle is equipped with a thermal imager. Features an upgraded 800hp engine.
VT-2[edit | edit source]
Operators[edit | edit source]
Current operators[edit | edit source]
- People's Liberation Army – 36 battalions of Type-96A (1116 units), 31 battalions of Type 96 (961 units) as of December 2015.
Tanks of comparable performance[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "中国96式主战坦克-环球展望网-军事-原创专稿". http://www.armsky.com/yuanchuangzhuangao/seechina/chinaarmy/200601/3253.html. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Kucera, Joshua (2014-08-19). "Russia Wins Tank Biathlon; Next Up, Caspian Naval Biathlon?". http://www.eurasianet.org/node/69621.
- "International Army Games conclude with Russian tank biathlon win (VIDEO)" (in en-EN). https://www.rt.com/news/312560-army-games-russia-tank-biathlon/. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "九六式坦克分队岛屿山地进攻战斗火力运用研究--《中国人民解放军信息工程大学》2005年硕士论文". http://cdmd.cnki.com.cn/article/cdmd-90008-2006021063.htm.
- Blasko, Dennis J. (2012). The Chinese army today : tradition and transformation for the 21st century. Abingdon, Oxford: Routledge. pp. 152. ISBN 9780415783217.
- "ZTZ96 (Type 96) Main Battle Tank - SinoDefence.com". 2011-03-07. Archived from the original on March 7, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110307061214/http://www.sinodefence.com/army/tank/type96.asp. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "The Chinese Defence Company NORINCO unveils new main battle tank VT2 at DSA 2012 1804124 | DSA 2012 defense exhibition Malaysia news | Defense and security exhibition 2012 daily news". http://www.armyrecognition.com/dsa_2012_defense_exhibition_malaysia_news/the_chinese_defence_company_norinco_unveils_new_main_battle_tank_vt2_at_dsa_2012_1804124.html. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Article DSA 2012". http://www.defense.gouv.fr/ema/sitta/les-salons-precedents/dsa-2012/article-dsa-2012. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "恐怖的数量差：中美最先进坦克数量比1：15_新闻_腾讯网". 16 January 2016. http://news.qq.com/a/20160116/012159.htm. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- 刘昆. "传中国96式坦克击毁南苏丹T72 获实战战果". http://mil.huanqiu.com/Observation/2012-05/2700347.html. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- US Army TRADOC Intelligence Support Activity. Ground Systems. Worldwide Equipment Guide. 1 (2011 ed.). http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/getdownloaditem/collection/p4013coll11/id/2089/filename/2090.pdf/mapsto/pdf/type/singleitem. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
[edit | edit source]
- Ruptly news footage of the Type 96A in the 2014 tank biathlon
- Ruptly news footage of the Type 96A in the 2015 tank biathlon
- CNTV news footage of the 2015 tank biathlon (Chinese audio)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|