USNS John Lewis will be the lead ship of the John Lewis class of underway replenishment oilers operated by the Military Sealift Command to support ships of the United States Navy. According to the Naval Vessel Register, construction was authorised for the first six ships in the class on 30 June 2016. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2018. It is named for United States Representative and civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Georgia politician and activist John Lewis (USNS John Lewis (T-AO-205))
- LGBT activist Harvey Milk (USNS Harvey Milk (T-AO-206))
- former Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren (USNS Earl Warren (T-AO-207)) whose court ruled to desegregate U.S. schools
- former US Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy (USNS Robert F. Kennedy (T-AO-208))
- women’s right activist Lucy Stone (USNS Lucy Stone (T-AO-209))
- abolitionist and women’s rights activist Sojourner Truth (USNS Sojourner Truth (T-AO-210))
See also[edit | edit source]
- Henry J. Kaiser-class oiler - predecessor class
References[edit | edit source]
- NAVSEA Shipbuilding Support Office (7 July 2016). "JOHN LEWIS (AO 205)". Naval Vessel Register. http://www.nvr.navy.mil/NVRSHIPS/DETAILS/AO205.HTM. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "SECNAV Mabus Names First T-AO(X) Next Generation Oiler After Rep. John Lewis" USNI News, January 6, 2016
- "Secretary of the Navy Announces First Ship of Next Generation Fleet Replenishment Oilers, USNS John Lewis" United States Department of Defense Press Release, January 6, 2016
- Sam LaGrone (28 July 2016). "Navy to Name Ship After Gay Rights Activist Harvey Milk". US Naval Institute. https://news.usni.org/2016/07/28/navy-name-ship-gay-rights-activist-harvey-milk. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|