|USNS Millinocket (T-JHSV-3)|
Millinocket underway in 2015.
|Operator:||Military Sealift Command|
|Awarded:||29 October 2010|
|Launched:||5 June 2013|
|In service:||21 March 2014|
|Status:||in active service, as of 2020[update]|
|Class & type:||Spearhead-class Joint High Speed Vessel|
|Length:||103.0 m (337 ft 11 in)|
|Beam:||28.5 m (93 ft 6 in)|
|Draft:||3.83 m (12 ft 7 in)|
4 × MTU 20V8000 M71L diesel engines|
4 × ZF 60000NR2H reduction gears
|Speed:||43 knots (80 km/h; 49 mph)|
|Aircraft carried:||Medium helicopter|
On 30 May 2012, Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced in Fall River, Massachusetts that the third Joint High Speed Vessel, previously having been named Fortitude by the United States Army before the transfer of the JHSV program to the Navy, would be named USNS Millinocket. Since the ship will be operated by the Military Sealift Command and not the United States Navy itself, it will carry the USNS designation and not USS. The ship is the second U.S. Navy vessel to be named Millinocket, the first being a freighter sunk by a U-boat in 1942.
Capabilities[edit | edit source]
It has a flight deck for helicopter operations and a loading ramp that allows vehicles to quickly drive on and off the ship. The ramp is suitable for the types of austere piers and quay walls common in developing countries. JHSV has a shallow draft (under 15 feet (4.6 m)).
References[edit | edit source]
- "Navy's Third Joint High Speed Vessel Launched". Navy News Service. 6 June 2013. NNS130606-10. http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=74664.
- Joint High Speed Vessel (JHSV), USN. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- Joint High Speed Vessel (JHSV), globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- "Secretary of the Navy Names Joint High Speed Vessel USNS Millinocket". U.S. Department of Defense. Washington, DC. http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15324. Retrieved 2013-03-11.
- Sambides, Nick Jr. (May 30, 2012). "Navy names ship after 2 Katahdin region towns". Bangor Daily News. Bangor, ME. http://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/30/news/penobscot/navy-names-ship-after-2-katahdin-region-towns/. Retrieved 2013-03-11.
- "Future USNS Millinocket (JHSV 3) completes builder's sea trials". December 20, 2013. http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/year-2013-news/december-2013-navy-naval-forces-maritime-industry-technology-security-global-news/1442-future-usns-millinocket-jhsv-3-completes-builders-sea-trials.html.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USNS Millinocket (JHSV-3).|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|