|USS Manhattan (YTB-779)|
|Ordered:||31 January 1964|
|Builder:||Marinette Marine, Marinette, Wisconsin|
|Laid down:||1 October 1964|
|Launched:||15 July 1965|
|Acquired:||1 December 1965|
|Reclassified:||Yard tug, YT-800, 7 October 2008|
|Struck:||1 October 2004|
|Reinstated:||7 October 2008|
|Class & type:||Natick class Large District Harbor Tug|
|Displacement:||283 long tons (288 t) (lt)356 long tons (362 t) (full)|
|Length:||109 ft (33 m)|
|Beam:||31 ft (9.4 m)|
|Draft:||14 ft (4.3 m)|
|Propulsion:||Diesel engine, single screwTwin z-drive, 2008|
|Speed:||12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)|
Construction and commissioning[edit | edit source]
The contract for Manhattan was awarded 31 January 1964. She was laid down on 1 October 1964 at Marinette, Wisconsin, by Marinette Marine and launched 15 July 1965.
Operational history[edit | edit source]
Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Manhattan transited the Panama Canal and steamed to Hawaii for duty in the US Naval Shipyard at Pearl Harbor. Manhattan served in Viet Nam between November 1966 and September 1968.
After Viet Nam, Manhattan was assigned to Naval Submarine Base Bangor.
Stricken from the Navy List 1 October 2004, Manhattan was sold by the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS), 23 August 2005, to Grant Westmoreland, LMW Investments Inc. for $151,888. Ex-Manhattan was converted to twin z-drive and reacquired by the US Navy, 7 October 2008 and was designated as unnamed yard tug YT-800.[lower-alpha 1]
Notes[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "USS Manhattan (YTB-779)". http://www.navysite.de/ytb/ytb779.htm. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- Gauvin, Brian (7 June 2010). "New Navy tractors steal the show from traditional YTBs". http://www.professionalmariner.com/June-July-2010/New-Navy-tractors-steal-the-show-from-traditional-YTBs/. Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- "Really Random Tugs". http://tugster.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/really-random-tugs/. Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entries can be found here and here.
[edit | edit source]
- Photo gallery of USS Manhattan (YTB-779) at NavSource Naval History
- "Manhatten (6504296)". ABS Record. American Bureau of Shipping. http://www.eagle.org/safenet/record/record_vesseldetailsprinparticular?Classno=6504296&Accesstype=PUBLIC&ReferrerApplication=PUBLIC. Retrieved 2013-08-24. – name misspelled at ABS
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Manhattan (YTB-779).|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|