|Underwater Offence Group Command |
Sualtı Taarruz Grup Komutanığı
Logo of SAT|
Logo of SAT
|Allegiance||Turkish Armed Forces|
|Branch||Turkish Naval Forces|
• Special Reconnaissance|
• Direct Action
• Combat Search And Rescue
• Amphibious Assault
Underwater Offence Group Command (Turkish language: Sualtı Taarruz Grup Komutanlığı) or Underwater Offence (Turkish language: Sualtı Taarruz) simply SAT is one of two special operations units of the Turkish Navy, based in the Foça Naval Base near İzmir, on the Aegean coast of Turkey.
The missions of the Amphibious Assault Su Altı Taarruz (SAT) include the acquisition of military intelligence, amphibious assault, counter-terrorism and VIP protection. They are trained and organized in a similar way to the U.S. Navy Seals who have close training relationships with them.
History[edit | edit source]
The first S.A.T. and S.A.S. units were established in 1963 in the city of Iskenderun, The original name of the S.A.T. unit was Su Altı Komando (S.A.K.) ("Underwater Commandos"), while the original name of the S.A.S. unit was Su Altı Müdafaa (S.A.M.) ("Underwater Defense"), and they were bound to the Kurtarma ve Sualtı Komutanlığı (K.S.K.), or Rescue and Underwater Command. In 1974 the S.A.T. and S.A.S. group commands became bound to the Turkish Navy's General Command, and participated in the Turkish military landing in Cyprus later that year.
Mission[edit | edit source]
Their main tasks are:
- Surveillance on enemy structures, facilities, defense systems or strategically relevant buildings.
- Covert sabotage against naval units and/or enemy structures.
- Covert landing and infiltration.
- Reconnaissance on beaches being considered for amphibious landing operations.
- Determining secure landing paths.
- Underwater recon within 2.5 m deep water/beach corridors.
- Direct action during first wave of landing missions.
- Hostage/POW/downed pilot rescue.
- Counter-terrorism missions.
- Close Quarter Combat.
Training[edit | edit source]
The training period of the Turkish Naval Special Forces, which lasts 49 weeks, is shorter than that of the OKK. It starts off with a 5-week-long Indoctrination period, followed by three consecutive training phases, and then Airborne Training and Special Ops Training.
Training and Duration:
- BUD/S: Indoctrination Period – 5 weeks Phase I (Basic conditioning + Hell Week) – 9 weeks
- Phase II (Diving) – 8 weeks
- Phase III (Land Warfare) – 9 weeks
- Post BUD/S:
- Airborne Training – 3 weeks
- Special Ops Technical Training – 2 weeks
- Medical Training – 30 weeks
- Platoon Training – 18 months
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Underwater Offence Group Command's equipment includes:
Rockets & Explosives
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Su Alti Taaruz (SAT)". Shadow Spear. http://www.shadowspear.com/2009/01/su-alti-taaruz/. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Sualtı Taarruz Komutanlığı". Özel Kuvvetler. http://www.ozelkuvvetler.com/sat/sualti-taarruz-komutanligi. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|