A unit citation is a formal, honorary mention by high authority of a military unit's specific and outstanding performance, notably in battle.
Similar mentions can also be made for individual soldiers.
Alternatively or concurrently, the unit can be awarded an honorary title, a mention on the flag or a decoration.
In France, since 1916, the fourragère (an ornamental colored cord) is worn on the uniform by the members of a unit which had received several citations.
Unit citations by countryEdit
- Ordre de la Libération (also an individual award)
- Military William Order (also an individual award)
- Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation
- Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation (also an individual award)
- Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation (also an individual award)
In order of precedence:
|All branches||Army||Navy/Marines||Air Force||Coast Guard||Individual|
|Presidential Unit Citation||-||-||-||-|| Distinguished Service Cross|
Air Force Cross
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award||Valorous Unit Award||Navy Unit Commendation||Gallant Unit Citation||Coast Guard Unit Commendation|| Defense Superior Service Medal (JMUA)|
Silver Star (VUA)
|Meritorious Unit Commendation||-||-||Air Force Meritorious Unit Award||-||Legion of Merit (AFMUA)|
|none||Superior Unit Award||none||Outstanding Unit Award||Meritorious Team Commendation||Commandant's Letter of Commendation Ribbon (MTC)|
Sources and referencesEdit
- Nouveau Petit Larousse Illustré, 1951 (in French)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|