|Usman Oyibe Jibrin|
|Chief of Naval Staff|
January 2014 – July 2015
|Preceded by||Adm. D.J. Ezeoba|
|Succeeded by||Rear Adm. I.E. Ibas|
|Born||September 25, 1959 (age 62)|
Kogi State, Nigeria
|Spouse(s)||Lami Ohiama Jibrin|
|Years of service||January 1982–present|
|Unit||Chief of Naval Staff|
|Commands||Chief of logistics and Director of Training |
Commanding Officer of Nigerian Navy Ship OFIOM
Directing Staff at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College Jaji (1994 -1996)
Operations Officer Eastern Naval Command
Deputy Director Attaché Management, Defence Intelligence Agency (2001)
Commandant, Defence Intelligence School (DIS) Abuja
Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Naval Command (2010)
|Awards|| Navy Distinguished Service Medal |
Defense Superior Service Medal
Passed Staff College Dagger (psc+)
Command at Sea Badge
Commander of The Order of the Federal Republic (CFR)
Usman Oyibe Jibrin, CFR (born 16 September 1959) is a Nigerian Navy Admiral and the 21st Chief of Naval Staff. Prior to his appointment as the Chief of Naval Staff he was the Chief of Logistics and Director of Training, Defence Headquarters Abuja.
Admiral Jibril was born on 16 September 1959 in Okura Olafia, a town in Dekina Local Government Area of Kogi State, Nigeria. He attended the Nigerian Defence Academy as a member of the 24th Regular Combatant Course where he graduated as the Best Naval Cadet officer and was commissioned as Second lieutenant of the Nigerian Navy on 1 January 1982.
He began his naval career as a watch keeping officer on board NNS Damisa and NNS Aradu immediately after he was commissioned as second lieutenant. He served in this capacity for 2 years (January 1982 – January 1984). He later served as base intelligence officer, NNS UMALOKUN for approximately 3 years (July 1984 – 1987) He also served as a flag lieutenant to the Chief of Defence Intelligence Agency and to the commandant officer of the Nigerian Navy Intelligence School, Apapa, Lagos State, Nigeria, before he became an instructor at Navigation and Direction School, Nigerian Navy Ship Quorra. He served in that capacity for 2 years (1989–1991). In 1994, he was appointed as a directing staff at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College Jaji, a tenure that elapsed in 1996 and after his tenure in 1996, he was appointed as the executive officer, NNS Enyimiri.
In 1997, he became the commanding officer of the Nigerian Navy Ship Ofiom, and in 1998 he commanded the ship NNS Ambe in operation Liberty (ECOMOG), where he obtained the Command at Sea Badge. In 2001, he became the Deputy Director Attaché Management, Defence Intelligence Agency and the Naval Provost Marshal, Naval Headquarters. In 2002, he was appointed as the defence adviser to the Nigerian Embassy Cameroun. He served in this capacity for 4 years until the end of his tenure in 2006. In December 2006, he was appointed as chief staff officer at the Sea Training Command, and later became the commandant officer of the Defence Intelligence School (DIS) Abuja on June 2007. Thereafter, he was appointed as Nigerian Navy secretary and while serving in this capacity, he was promoted to rear admiral. In 2010 he became the flag officer commanding, Eastern Naval Command, coordinating a joint operation involving the 3 services around the Gulf of Guinea, NEMO. He also, he coordinated a combined Exercise, called OBANGAME EXPRESS 2012, involving 11 countries including Germany and United Kingdom. In January 2014, he took over from Vice Admiral Dele Joseph Ezeoba as the Chief of Naval Staff, and on 5 February 2014, he was promoted to the rank of vice admiral by Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Awards and decorations
He is a recipient of several awards and decorations. Among them are:
- Best Naval Cadet (1982), awarded by the Nigerian Navy
- Passed Staff College Dagger (psc+), awarded by the Nigerian Navy
- Forces Service Star (FSS), awarded by the Nigerian Navy
- Distinguish Service Star (DSS), awarded by the Nigerian Navy
- Meritorious Service Star (MSS), awarded by the Nigerian Navy
- General Service Star (GSS) awarded by the Nigerian Navy
- Command at Sea Badge awarded by the Nigerian Navy.
- Admiralty Medal, awarded by the Nigerian Navy.
- Dapo Falade-Port Harcourt. "Navy commences mandatory swimming training for personnel". http://www.tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/22335-navy-commences-mandatory-swimming-training-for-personnel/22335-navy-commences-mandatory-swimming-training-for-personnel.
- "Jonathan urges service chiefs to end terrorism". The Guardian Mobile. http://www.theguardianmobile.com/readNewsItem1.php?nid=22196.
- "Oil theft reducing at Gulf of Guinea – Navy Chief". The Punch - Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper. http://www.punchng.com/news/oil-theft-reducing-at-gulf-of-guinea-navy-chief/.
- James Bigila. "Navy pledge support to Nigeria Olympics Committee on sports development". Daily Trust. http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/30918-navy-pledge-support-to-nigeria-olympics-committee-on-sports-development.
- "Vice Admiral Usman Oyibe Jibrin - :: Kogi News, Latest News from Kogi State ::". http://www.kogireports.com/tag/vice-admiral-usman-oyibe-jibrin.
- "Minimah, Jibrin, Amosu Appointed Service Chiefs, Articles - THISDAY LIVE". http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/minimah-jibrin-amosu-appointed-service-chiefs/169042/.
- "Delta Hotel fracas: Police, Navy at daggers drawn - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/02/delta-hotel-fracas-police-navy-daggers-drawn/.
- Our Reporter. "Navy advocates stringent laws to prosecute oil thieves". http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=66257.
- "Navy, Air Force, elevates 21 Rear Admirals, Air Vice Marshals, 206 others - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/navy-air-force-elevates-21-rear-admirals-air-vice-marshals-206-others/.
- Our Correspondent. "New Telegraph – Nigerian Navy, allied navies move to improve maritime safety". http://newtelegraphonline.com/nigerian-navy-allied-navies-move-improve-maritime-safety/.
- "Nigerian Navy, 10 Others Begin Anti piracy Drills in Gulf of Guinea, Articles - THISDAY LIVE". http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigerian-navy-10-others-begin-anti-piracy-drills-in-gulf-of-guinea/110246/.
- Media Trust. "Nigerian Navy connects 378 offices with internet infrastructure". Daily Trust. https://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/it-world/17999-nigerian-navy-connects-378-offices-with-internet-infrastructure.
- "Content about Usman Jibrin". http://shippingposition.com.ng/topics/Usman%20Jibrin.
- "Nigeria, Others Lose $2bn to Maritime Crimes, Articles - THISDAY LIVE". http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigeria-others-lose-2bn-to-maritime-crimes/109898/.
- "National Mirror". http://m.nationalmirroronline.net/article/navy-arrests-38-illegal-vessels-in-four-months--says-cns/?page=2&article-id=16119.
- "Gradual killing of the system". Vanguard News. http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/gradual-killing-system/.
- "allAfrica.com: Nigeria: Boko Haram Kills 19 in Borno Village". allAfrica.com. http://allafrica.com/stories/201401210276.html.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|