|Vice Admiral of Dorset|
Admiralty court |
and Naval Jurisdiction.
The Vice-Admiral of Dorset  was responsible for the defence County of Dorset, England.
As a Vice-Admiral, the post holder was the chief of naval administration for his district. His responsibilities included pressing men for naval service, deciding the lawfulness of prizes (captured by privateers), dealing with salvage claims for wrecks and acting as a judge.
History[edit | edit source]
The earliest record of an appointment was of 1551–1580: Lord Thomas Howard (Viscount Howard of Bindon from 1559).
In 1863 the Registrar of the Admiralty Court stated that the offices had 'for many years been purely honorary' (HCA 50/24 pp. 235-6). Appointments were made by the Lord High Admiral when this officer existed. When the admiralty was in commission appointments were made by the crown by letters patent under the seal of the admiralty court.
Vice Admirals of Dorset[edit | edit source]
This is a list of people who have been Vice-Admiral of Dorset.
- 1551–1580: Lord Thomas Howard (Viscount Howard of Bindon from 1559)
- 1580–1582: Vacant
- 1582: Henry Ashley
- 1582–1591: Sir Christopher Hatton
- 1591–1603: Sir Carew Raleigh
- 1603–1611: Thomas Howard, 3rd Viscount Howard of Bindon
- 1611–1640: Theophilus Howard, 2nd Baron Howard de Walden (Earl of Suffolk from 1626)
- 1640–1642: Francis Cottington, 1st Baron Cottington
- 1642–1644: Vacant
- 1644–1653: John Arthur
- 1653–1660: Vacant
- 1661–1672: Bullen Reymes
- 1672–1679: Vacant
- 1679–1699: Anthony Ashley-Cooper, Lord Ashley (Earl of Shaftesbury from 1683)
- 1702–1713: Thomas Strangways
- 1713–1714: Vacant
- 1714–1742: George Trenchard
- 1742–1754: Charles Powlett, 3rd Duke of Bolton
- 1754–1755: Vacant
- 1755–1759: Harry Powlett, 4th Duke of Bolton
- 1759–1765: Charles Powlett, Marquess of Winchester (Duke of Bolton from later in 1759)
- 1765–1767: Vacant
- 1767–1794: Harry Powlett, 6th Duke of Bolton
- 1794–1797: Vacant
- 1797–1800: George Paulet, 12th Marquess of Winchester
References[edit | edit source]
- Admiralty, Great Britain (22 Jul 2005) (in en). The Navy List. H.M. Stationery Office, 1814, Original from the University of Michigan, Digitized. p. 130. https://books.google.lk/books?id=0xYYAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA130&dq=Vice-Admiral+of+the+Coast+of+Cumberland&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuvpC05JDQAhUWSY8KHbK8C64Q6AEIYTAJ#v=onepage&q=Vice-Admiral%20of%20the%20Coast%20of%20Cumberland&f=false.
- "Vice Admirals of the Coasts from 1660,". Institute of Historical Research, University of London, March 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20060928175749/http://www.history.ac.uk/office/viceadmirals.html.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|