The Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale Award for Inspirational Leadership is a United States Navy award established in 1980 by United States Secretary of the Navy Edward Hidalgo to honor the inspirational leadership of James Stockdale, a Medal of Honor recipient in the Vietnam War, who exhibited exemplary leadership while a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for nearly eight years. The award were first made in 1981.
Each year two commanding officers below the grade of captain are selected, one for the United States Atlantic Fleet and one from the United States Pacific Fleet. A board of peer-nominated officers, one for the Atlantic, and one for the Pacific, select the winners, based on the five criteria of inspirational leadership the Vice Admiral Stockdale identified in his writing and teaching on leadership. These criteria are:
- Moralist: Have a commitment to a personal code of ethical conduct.
- Jurist: Demonstrate ability to establish policy which can be implemented and obeyed in the most difficult of circumstances.
- Teacher: Being an example of self-discipline and sensitivity to others with balanced perspective, creating organizational pride, job satisfaction, and a motivational climate.
- Steward: Being an example of personal commitment and an example to others in the maintenance of standards and loyalty.
- Philosopher: Show the ability to reason, explain the essence of reality, and recognize the need for forethought in dealing with uncertainty.
|1981||CDR John J. Coonan||CDR Philip M. Qwast|
|1982||CDR E.L. Watkins||CDR G.R. Fister|
|1983||CDR J.B. Johnston||CDR William J. Hancock|
|1984||CDR Frank L. Yusi||CDR Edward K. Kristensen|
|1985||CDR Larry L. Ernst||CDR W. Hudson|
|1986||CDR M.A. Rogers||CDR B.J. Coyle|
|1987||CDR C.W. Moore||CDR Michael Mullen|
|1988||CDR W.J. Riffer||CDR J. Grossenbacher|
|1989||CDR R.M. Wikstrom||CDR Thomas B. Fargo|
|1990||CDR J.C. Holloway||CDR A.R. Gorthy|
|1991||CDR F.J. Dobrydney||CDR T.L Tarvis|
|1992||CDR B.W. Cavey||CDR Jonathan W. Greenert|
|1993||No Award||CDR C.A. Miletich|
|1994||CDR R.D. Jenkins||CDR R.C. Massey|
|1995||CDR J.T. Bader||CDR F.M. Drennan|
|1996||CDR R.D. Holland||CDR James P. Wisecup|
|1997||CDR J.L. Clark||CDR M.W. Kenny|
|1998||CDR M.E. Kosnick||CDR C.E. Haney|
|1999||CDR W.E. Carter||CDR B.E. Grooms|
|2000||CDR M.D. Davis||CDR R. Hennegan|
|2001||CDR J.L. Clark
CDR Jeffery S. Jones
|CDR M.W. Kenny|
CDR John M. Richardson
|2002||CDR P.H. Young||CDR J.W. Covell|
|2003||CDR K.J. Kovacich||CDR Charles M. Gaouette|
|2004||CDR S.D. Conn||CDR L.R. Hawkins|
|2005||CDR R.P. Burke||CDR J.W. Kilby|
|2006||CDR R.L. Clemmons||CDR B.T. Howe|
|2007||CDR Frank J. Olmo||CDR Craig A. Clapperton|
|2008||CDR Robert Smith||CDR Paul J. Lyons|
|2009||CDR William J. Parker III||CDR Robert A. Baughman|
|2010||CDR Jeffrey M. Grimes||CDR Michael A. McCartney|
|2011||CDR Robert B. Chadwick II||CDR Gerald N. Miranda, Jr.|
|2012||CDR Brian L. Sittlow||CDR Chase D. Patrick|
|2013||CDR Leif E. Mollo||CDR Richard N. Massie|
- OPNAV Instruction 3590.23F of 26 February 2007
- Updated recipient list
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|