Tham in 1960.
|Birth name||Vollrath Sebastian Adolf Wilhelm Tham|
|Born||3 December 1913|
|Died||28 January 1995(aged 81)|
|Place of death||Uppsala, Sweden|
|Buried at||Lidingö Cemetery|
|Years of service||1936–1968|
Volunteer Corps (1939–40)|
|Commands held||Battalion XXII K|
Vollrath Sebastian Adolf Wilhelm Tham (3 December 1913 – 28 January 1995) was a Swedish Army officer. Tham served in the Volunteer Corps during the Winter War in Finland and as battalion commander in Congo during the Congo Crisis. Tham retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1968.
Career[edit | edit source]
Tham was born on 3 December 1913, the son of August Vilhelm Vollrath Tham (1883–1938) and his wife Karin, née Berg (1882–1974). Tham was commissioned as an officer in Svea Artillery Regiment in 1936 with the rank of fänrik. Tham passed the Higher Artillery Course at the Artillery and Engineering College and attended the Swedish Army Physical Training School (Arméns gymnastik- och idrottsskola). He was promoted to Lieutenant in 1939. When the Winter War in Finland broke out in November 1939, Tham joined the Swedish Volunteer Corps as a fire control officer. He was present at the time when regimental comrade Lieutenant Colonel Magnus Dyrssen was killed.
In 1944, Tham was promoted to Captain and in 1954 to Major. He then served as a teacher at the Royal Swedish Army Staff College. In 1956 he transferred to Skaraborg Armoured Regiment but returned to the artillery in 1960 as a Lieutenant Colonel in Småland Artillery Regiment. From 1963 to 1964, Tham served as commander of the Swedish XXII K Battalion during the Congo Crisis. He retired from the military at Småland Artillery Regiment in 1968.
After completing military service, Tham ran his own engineering firm for oil sanitation issues.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Tham was married to Christina with whom he had two sons; Pehr and Gustaf.
Dates of rank[edit | edit source]
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Knight of the Order of the Sword
- Fourth Class of the Order of the Cross of Liberty with Swords
References[edit | edit source]
- Reuterswärd, Carl; Folcker, Bror (22 February 1995). "Vollrath Tham" (in Swedish). p. 21. https://tidningar.kb.se/1767385/1995-02-22/edition/0/part/1/page/21/?q=%22Vollrath%20Tham%22%20%22kongo%22&from=1960-01-01&to=1995-12-31. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- "Vollrath Sebastian Adolf Wilhelm Tham" (in Swedish). http://www.finngraven.se/(S(blohp1xeew4hxj2fj2zl0o5m))/DisplayInfo.aspx?id=1552550. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- "Vår käre Vollrath Tham" (in Swedish). 4 February 1995. p. 14. https://tidningar.kb.se/1767385/1995-02-04/edition/0/part/1/page/15/. Retrieved 14 May 2020.
- (in Swedish) Sveriges statskalender för skottåret 1964. Uppsala: Fritzes offentliga publikationer. 1964. p. 377. http://runeberg.org/statskal/1964/0377.html.
- (in Swedish) Sveriges statskalender för året 1942. Uppsala: Fritzes offentliga publikationer. 1942. p. 340. http://runeberg.org/statskal/1942/0340.html.
|Battalion Commander in the Congo
December 1963 – May 1964
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|