A Navajo missile, which would have carried the W41 warhead
|Place of origin||United States|
|Designer||Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory|
W41 was the designation of an American nuclear warhead, which was investigated during the late 1950s. Intended for use in the SM-64 Navajo cruise missile, the program was cancelled in 1957. The program was brief, considered at the same time as the TX-29, WX-15-X1 and XW-21 warheads. All were eventually replaced as the proposed Navajo warhead by the 39. The W41 was an adaptation of the B41 (Mk-41) thermonuclear bomb which was produced in large numbers and served in stockpile for 15 years.
A warhead version of the B41 thermonuclear bomb, development of the W41 began in November 1956 at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Investigated as a possible warhead for the SM-64 Navajo, a cruise missile then in development, work on the warhead continued through July 1957, when the project was cancelled.
Following the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, conspiracy theories began that claimed a W41 nuclear bomb would be used to seal the oil well, despite the use of a nuclear weapon in the role having been officially rejected.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Hansen 1995
- ↑ Polmar and Norris 2009, p.53.
- ↑ Cochran et al. 1987, p.10.
- ↑ "The Relief Well is a Cover-Up". NOLA.com. http://blog.nola.com/oilspill/2010/05/the_relief_well_is_a_cover_up.html. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- ↑ Revkin, Andrew C. (3 June 2010). "No Surprise: U.S. Rejects Nuclear Option for Gulf Oil Gusher". http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/no-surprise-u-s-rejects-nuclear-option-for-gulf-oil-gusher/.
- Cochran, Thomas B.; Arkin, William M.; Hoenig, Milton M. (1987). Nuclear Weapons Databook: U.S. nuclear warhead production. Nuclear Weapons Databook. 2. Pensacola, FL: Ballinger Publishing. ISBN 978-0-88730-124-7. http://books.google.com/books?ei=X-pFTcDsHIP98AbUoa3tAQ&ct=result&id=Y9AgAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22W41%22+nuclear+Navajo&q=%22W41%22#search_anchor.
- Hansen, Chuck (1995). The Swords of Armageddon: U.S. Nuclear Weapons Development Since 1945 (CD-ROM). Sunnyvale, CA: Chucklea Publications.
- Polmar, Norman; Norris, Robert Stan (2009). The U.S. Nuclear Arsenal: A History of Weapons and Delivery Systems Since 1945. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 978-1-55750-681-8. http://books.google.com/books?ei=RuZFTaSsEsG88gaS-N21DQ&ct=result&id=rKkpAQAAIAAJ&dq=W41+warhead&q=W41#search_anchor.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|