|Wallace H. Nutting|
Nutting in November 1983
|Birth name||Wallace Hall Nutting|
|Born||June 3, 1928(age 93)|
|Place of birth||Newton, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Years of service||1950-1985|
|Other work||Mayor of Biddeford, Maine|
Wallace Hall Nutting (born June 3, 1928) is a retired United States Army general who served as Commander in Chief, United States Southern Command (USCINCSOUTH) from 1979 to 1983 and as Commander in Chief, United States Readiness Command (USCINCRED) from 1983 to 1985.
Early life and education
Nutting was born on June 3, 1928, in Newtown, Massachusetts.
Nutting's military service began when he served in the Maine National Guard. After graduating from Phillips Exeter Academy in 1946, he received an appointment to the United States Military Academy, graduating in 1950. He saw combat in the Korean War and served as a commander during two tours in the Vietnam War. His commands include the 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry, 4th Infantry Division in Vietnam; the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment; the 3rd Armored Division; United States Southern Command from 1979 to 1983; and United States Readiness Command from 1983 to 1985.
Nutting retired in 1985 and settled in Biddeford, Maine with his wife Jane, where he served as mayor from 2003 to 2007. Nutting has also served as a Senior Fellow at the Institute of Higher Defense Studies at the National Defense University and is an Associate Fellow at the Center for International Affairs at Harvard University. He was chairman of the University of Southern Maine's Senior College board.
On May 28, 2008, Nutting received the West Point Distinguished Graduate Award from the academy's Association of Graduates in a ceremony at West Point.
- Marquis Who's Who on the Web
- President's Award Recipients
- Starry, General Donn A. (1989). "Appendix A. Commanders of Cavalry, Armor, and Mechanized Infantry Units in Vietnam". Mounted Combat in Vietnam. Vietnam Studies. United States Army Center of Military History. CMH Pub 90-17. http://www.history.army.mil/books/Vietnam/mounted/appA.htm.
- K Troop 11th ACR Reunion
- USSOUTHCOM Previous Commanders
- Counseling Services, Inc. - Gen. Nutting Joins Board
- University of Southern Maine 2004-2005 News Releases Nutting is a member of the organization, Misson: Readiness a "nonprofit, nonpartisan national security organization led by over 200 retired generals, admirals, and other senior military leaders who work to ensure continued American security and prosperity by calling for smart investments in the next generation of American children."
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|