|Born||9 July 1918|
|Died||22 January 1984 (aged 65)|
|Place of birth||Metz, Alsace-Lorraine|
|Place of death||Nuremberg, Germany|
Nazi Germany (to 1945)|
|Years of service||1939—1945|
|Commands held||III. Gruppe (Gruppenkommandeure)|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Walter Bordellé (9 July 1918 – 22 January 1984) was a German World War II pilot. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on March 26, 1944. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Walter Bordellé was born on July 9, 1918, in Metz, Alsace-Lorraine. Walter Bordellé joined the German Army straight from school. Bordellé's flying career began when he joined the German Air Transport School. Bordellé showed a strong natural ability as a pilot. He completed his fighter pilot training in 1938. Then, Bordellé was assigned to the 4th Transport unit of the Kampfgruppe 800. Bordellé flew over Western Europe, and over Soviet Union. He gradually became an experimented pilot.
As First Lieutenant, Walter Bordellé was awarded the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on March 16, 1943. In the 5th Wing of the "Transportgeschwaders 2", Bordellé was eventually awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on March 16, 1944. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross principally was the highest award of Germany to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership during World War II.
Walter Bordellé died at Nuremberg, on January 22, 1984.
Decorations[edit | edit source]
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on March 26, 1944 as Oberleutnant and pilot in the 5./TG 2
- Deutsches Kreuz in gold, on March 16, 1943.
- Eisernes Kreuz, IInd et Ist class.
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe for Transportflieger
References[edit | edit source]
- This article incorporates information from No language provided for the interwiki translation template!
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 140.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945 (in German). Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
[edit | edit source]
- (de) Ritterkreuzträger Walter Bordellé on Ritterkreuzträger 1939-45