|Born||November 21, 1911|
|Died||3 August 1971(aged 59)|
|Place of birth||Trier|
|Place of death||Troisdorf|
Nazi Germany (to 1945)|
|Years of service||
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Walter Enneccerus (21 November 1911 – 3 August 1971) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Luftwaffe during World War II and a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Enneccerus was born 21 November 1911 in Trier, in the Mosel region.
He served with the Condor Legion in Spain, where he flew the Heinkel He-51 and then the Junkers Ju-87 during the invasion of Poland in September 1939. He then fought in the Battle of France, being awarded the Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe, Iron Cross (1939) 2nd and 1st Class, and as Hauptmann and Gruppenkommandeur of II./StG. 2 (Sturzkampfgeschwader 2) Immelmann. received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 21 July 1940.
He flew in the Battle of Britain before his unit was transferred to Sicily in December 1940, participating in the attack on the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious on 10 January 1941. Illustrious was severely damaged by 6 bomb hits and several near misses, which caused fires, disabled her steering gear and killed 83, and wounded 100.He also took part in the sinking of the cruiser HMS Southampton. Moving to North Africa he supported the Afrika Korps, flew operations supporting the conquest of the Balkans and Crete. He led the StG. 2 attack on the aircraft carrier HMS Formidable on 26 May 1941, damaging the carrier.
Transferring to the Eastern Front he became Geschwaderkommodore of StG 77 in October 1942 but was removed from command for refusing to carry out what he considered to be a suicidal mission. He survived the war as a Generalmajor.
During his career he was credited with flying 200+ missions. In 1956 he joined the Bundeswehr and rose to the rank of Brigadegeneral, retiring in 1967. He died 3 August 1971 in Wahn, Germany.
Awards and decorations
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 21 July 1940 as Hauptmann and Gruppenkommandeur of the II./Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 "Immelmann"
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 254.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1976). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939-1945 Band II Stuka- und Schlachtflieger (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann. ISBN 3-87341-021-4.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Major Alfons Orthofer
|Commander of Sturzkampfgeschwader 77
13 October 1942 – 20 February 1943
Major Helmut Bruck
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|