|War Merit Cross|
War Merit Cross
|Awarded by Italy|
|Eligibility||Members of the Italian armed forces|
One year of service in combat operations|
Being wounded in combat
|Established||19 January 1918|
|Next (higher)||War Cross for Military Valor|
|Next (lower)||Army Merit Cross|
Ribbon bar of the cross
Ribbon bar of the cross for two awards
From its institution until 30 May 1927, 1,034,924 Crosses were issued.
The Italian War Merit Cross was awarded to members of the armed forces with a minimum of one year's service in contact with an enemy who received the Medal of the Wounded, or to those who, when mentioned for war merit, received a promotion. Also, if an act of valour was deemed insufficient for the Medal of Military Valour, the War Merit Cross could be awarded instead; from 1922 onwards a bronze sword on the ribbon showed this class of award.
The War Merit Cross was in bronze, 38mm wide (1-1/2 inches), with a blue ribbon. A second award was indicated by a bronze star on the ribbon. The reverse side bears a 5-pointed star on a background of rays. The obverse has the royal cypher ("VE III" under a crown) in the upper arm, "MERITO DI GVERRA" (War Merit) on the horizontal arms and a Roman sword point upwards, on oak leaves, in the lower arm. During World War II, the War Merit Cross underwent a number of significant changes.
In 1941, by decree, the War Merit Cross was replaced by the Medal of Military Valour.
- Robert L. Blackwell, Private, US Army, MoH
- Tasker H. Bliss, General, US Army
- Evans Carlson, Brigadier General, US Marines, leader of Carlson's Raiders
- William J. Donovan, Major General, US Army, MoH
- Edouard Izac, Lieutenant, US Navy, MoH
- Clayton P. Kerr, United States Army Major General and member of Allied Mission to Italian Army in World War II
- Frank Luke, Jr., Second Lieutenant, US Army Air Service, MoH
- Douglas MacArthur, General, US Army, MoH
- Alvin York, Sergeant, US Army, MoH
- Richmond H. Hilton, Sergeant, US Army, MoH
- Carioti Quinto, Private, Italian Army
- Guiseppe Cirrincione, Maresciallo Dell'aeronautica
- "Esercito Italiano- Nastrini delle decorazioni in uso" (in Italian). Esercito.difesa.it. http://www.esercito.difesa.it/Equipaggiamenti/Militaria/Decorazioni/DecorazionieOnorificenze/Nastrinidecorazioniinuso/Pagine/default.aspx. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- "Italian Army Awards and Medals WW1". diggerhistory. 11 Nov 2002. http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-medals/italian1.htm. Retrieved 17 October 2010.
- Shackelford, Micheal (1998). "Medals of Italy". http://www.gwpda.org/medals/italmedl/italy.html. Retrieved 17 October 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from [[Wikipedia:War Merit Cross (Italy)||Wikipedia]] (view authors).|