|Born||6 February 1915|
|Died||24 June 1944(aged 29)|
|Place of birth||Nienhagen|
|Place of death||near Vitebsk, Belarus|
|Allegiance||Nazi Germany (to 1945)|
|Years of service||1934–1944|
|Commands held||II./Grenadier-Regiment 502|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Wilhelm Broeffel (6 February 1915 – 24 June 1944) was a highly decorated Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Wilhelm Broeffel was killed on 24 June 1944 near Vitebsk, Belarus.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- West Wall Medal (28 February 1940)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (10 June 1940)
- 1st Class (23 August 1941)
- Infantry Assault Badge (13 January 1941)
- Demyansk Shield
- Eastern Front Medal (18 July 1942)
- Close Combat Clasp (2 October 1943)
- in Bronze
- German Cross in Gold (15 May 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 14 November 1943 as Hauptmann and commander of II./Grenadier-Regiment 502 
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 124.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.