|Born||4 November 1891|
|Died||7 September 1974(aged 82)|
|Place of birth||Zwickau|
|Place of death||Mülheim|
German Empire (to 1919)|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1913–1945|
SMS Kaiserin Augusta
|Commands held||heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper|
World War I|
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Wilhelm Meisel (4 November 1891 – 7 September 1974) was an Admiral of the Kriegsmarine during World War II and a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German language: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Meisel was born in Zwickau and joined the Navy as a midshipman in 1913. During the First World War he served on the battlecruiser SMS Moltke, the light cruiser SMS Stralsund and the SMS Möwe. He later served as a staff officer on Torpedo boats and was interned in Scapa Flow. After the scuttling of the High Seas Fleet he was held as a POW by the British and repatriated in 1921.
During the 1920s Meisel commanded a torpedo boat flotilla and held several staff posts and commanded the German cruiser Karlsruhe in 1929.
During World War II Meisel commanded a destroyer flotilla in the Polish Campaign of 1939 and was appointed commander of the heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper in 1940. He was made Chief of Staff of Naval Group west in 1943 and Chief of Naval staff in 1943.
- Iron Cross (1914)
- Hanseatic Cross of Hamburg (June 1916)
- Honour Cross for Combatants (December 1934)
- Spanish Cross in Silver (6 June 1939)
- Sudetenland Medal
- Memel Medal
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- Destroyer War Badge (July 1941)
- High Seas Fleet Badge (1 November 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 26 February 1941 as Kapitän zur See and commander of the heavy cruiser "Admiral Hipper"
- Order of the Rising Sun, 2nd class (Japan)
- Dörr, Manfred (1996). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Überwasserstreitkräfte der Kriegsmarine—Band 2:L–Z (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio Verlag. ISBN 3-7648-2497-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas, 2000. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 3-87943-355-0.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Konteradmiral Günther Lütjens
|Acting Führer der Torpedoboote (F.d.T.) 1933–1939|
21 October 1939 – 25 October 1939
| Succeeded by|
Kapitän zur See Friedrich Bonte
Admiral Kurt Fricke
|Chief of Staff of the Seekriegsleitung|
21 February 1943 – 30 April 1944
| Succeeded by|
Chief of the Seekriegsleitung
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|