|Born||June 8, 1908|
|Died||November 2, 1987(aged 79) (aged 79)|
|Place of birth||Gumbinnen, Germany|
|Place of death||Bochum, Germany|
Weimar Republic (to 1933)|
|Years of service||?–1945|
|Rank||Oberstleutnant der Reserves|
|Commands held||Panzergrenadier-Regiment 66|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
Order of Michael the Brave|
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
Most of the division was encircled and destroyed in Budapest between December and February 1944-45. The remnants which escaped, consisting of 200-300 men, were reformed under Schöning. Schöning remembered it thus:
Suddenly I had the feeling that my leg was being torn off. Division doctor Major Seeger, who was lying near me, wanted to help me. He bent over me and in so doing was himself wounded. Right at the start of the breakout he was shot in the leg which exposed his Achilles tendon and was then hit by another bullet which tore away his backside. As my pistol was empty I ordered my lieutenant to finish me off because I didn't want to be taken prisoner. He was himself wounded in the arm. He then called to me: “Only another 2,000 metres, Lieutenant Colonel. We have to make it!'” I crept through the snow up a hill with the major...Two wounded grenadiers from our battle group picked us up under the arms under the heaviest fire and stood us upright and I dragged myself with several wounds to the feet the two kilometres to the German position.
Dates of Rank
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (11 July 1940)
- 1st Class (12 August 1941)
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Wound Badge
- in Black or Silver
- Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze
- Eastern Front Medal
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army
- Order of Michael the Brave
- German Cross in Gold (14 February 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 7 February 1944 as Major der Reserve and commander of the I./Füsilier-Regiment "Feldherrnhalle"
- 707th Oak Leaves on 21 January 1945 as Major der Reserve and leader of Panzergrenadier-Regiment 66
- "The Battle for Hungary" Krisztián Ungváry, Budapest Times, 10 December 2007
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 3-7648-2300-3.