|Willard M. Smith|
|Died||March 26, 1918 (aged 77–78)|
|Place of birth||Allegany, New York|
|Place of burial||Elmlawn Cemetery Kenmore, New York|
United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Battles/wars||American Civil War|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Willard M. Smith (1840-March 26, 1918) was a sergeant serving in the United States Marine Corps during the American Civil War who received the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Battle of Mobile Bay.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Smith was born in 1840 in Allegany, New York, and entered the Marine Corps from Brooklyn, New York, August 18, 1862. He was a corporal assigned to the marine detachment aboard the USS Brooklyn when it was sent to fight in the American Civil War during the Battle of Mobile Bay.
He was discharged from the Marine Corps August 19, 1866. He died March 26, 1918 and is buried in Elmlawn Cemetery Kenmore, New York. His grave can be found in the Catalph lawn section, lot 62.
Medal of Honor citation[edit | edit source]
Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps. Born: 1840, Alleghany, N.Y. Accredited to: New York. G.O. No.: 45, 31 December 1864.
On board the U.S.S. Brooklyn during action against rebel forts and gunboats, and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite severe damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire continued to fall, Cpl. Smith fought his gun with skill and courage throughout the furious 2_hour battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Civil War (M-Z); Smith, Willard M. entry". Medal of Honor recipients. United States Army Center of Military History. July 28, 2010. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwarmz.html. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- Schuon, Karl (1963). U. S. Marine Corps biographical dictionary. New York: Franklin Watts. p. 211. http://books.google.com/books?id=WMY6AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA211.
- Don Morfe (January 22, 2004). "Willard M. Smith". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8304124. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
[edit | edit source]
- "Willard M. Smith". Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=3121. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- "Corporal Willard M. Smith, USMC, (Deceased); Civil War 1861-1865 Medal of Honor recipient". Who's Who in Marine Corps History. United States Marine Corps, History Division. http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/Whos_Who/Smith_WM.htm. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|