|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1994–present|
U.S. Army Africa|
41st Infantry Brigade Combat Team
Oregon National Guard
William J. Prendergast IV is a United States Army officer and Brigadier General currently serving as the Deputy Commanding General of U.S. Army Africa (USAFRICOM) as well as the Army Reserve Component Integration Advisor for the unit.
He began his military career in Oregon where he eventually commanded the armed forces of the state (the National Guard of Oregon) and served as in a variety of senior administrative positions.
Early life and education
Prendergast attended Bates College in Lewiston, Maine and graduated with a degree in political science. He went on to be awarded a master's in Strategic Studies from the United States Army War College.
Early career in Oregon
Prendergast was commissioned in 1994 after attending the Oregon Military Academy's National Guard Officer Candidate School. During his time in Oregon, he commanded the 41st Infantry Brigade Combat Team as well as various other units including the 249th Regional Training Institute, Camp Umatilla Oregon, the 82nd Support Detachment (ROC) (TSC), the 1-82nd Cavalry, the 1-82nd Cavalry, the Joint Forces Headquarters Oregon, and the 1-162nd Infantry. In April 2017, Prendergast was selected as assistant adjutant general, serving at the Oregon Joint Force Headquarters in Salem, Oregon.
As deputy commander of U.S. Army Africa
It was announced by U.S. Army Africa in Vicenza, Italy that Prendergast was chosen to succeed as the deputy commander of the unit effective July 11, 2017.
On July 17, 2017, Prendergast halted military work in recognition of Nelson Mandela Day and partnered with local South African animal shelters and troops to provide free medical treatment to dogs who spread disease throughout the city of Postmasburg as a way of "giving back to the community".
Due to ongoing attacks on U.N. peace keeping missions in South Africa, his unit assembled (along with the South African National Defence Force), a task force utilized for the sole purpose of repelling invading para-military terrorists from the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Iraq and Afghanistan. He began military training with both teams in early July 2017 describing them as "strengthen[ing] military cooperation between the two countries."
He officially took command of specialized American military forces in South Africa with a delivery of 31,000 MREs (meals ready to eat), and instructed the 800 U.S. soldiers in the area to begin on-site reconnaissance on August 1, 2017.
Awards and honors
The following table denotes the awards, medals, and honors received by Prendergast as of July 2017 according to the U.S. Army:
|Bronze Star Medal (Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster)|
|Meritorious Service Medal (4 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)|
|Army Commendation Medal (2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)|
|Army Achievement Medal (1 Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster)|
|Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal (1 Silver and 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)|
|National Defense Service Medal (Bronze Star)|
|Meritorious Unit Commendation|
|Iraq Campaign Medal (Bronze Campaign Star)|
|Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
|Armed Forces Reserve Medal (Silver Hourglass and M device)|
|Army Service Ribbon|
|Overseas Service Ribbon (Bronze 2 Device)|
- Helfrich, Kim. "US military brought 31 000 MREs to South Africa for Ex Shared Accord | defenceWeb" (in en-gb). http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48764:us-military-brought-31-000-mres-to-south-africa-for-ex-shared-accord&catid=47:Logistics&Itemid=110.
- "Brig. Gen. William J. Prendergast IV". https://www.usaraf.army.mil/leaders/deputy-commanding-general-army-reserve-component-integration-advisor.
- News-Review, DAN BAIN The. "Riley promoted to commander in National Guard ceremony" (in en). NRToday.com. http://www.nrtoday.com/news/local/roseburg/riley-promoted-to-commander-in-national-guard-ceremony/article_60bb5bf4-e760-50ae-a5de-ef5aac8790f4.html.
- "Prendergast selected as USARAF deputy commanding general". DVIDS. https://www.dvidshub.net/news/240710/prendergast-selected-usaraf-deputy-commanding-general.
- "US Soldiers, South African counterparts engage in community service to honor Nelson Mandela Day" (in en). www.army.mil. https://www.army.mil/article/191170/us_soldiers_south_african_counterparts_engage_in_community_service_to_honor_nelson_mandela_day.
- "67 minutes: U.S., South African troops engage in community service on Nelson Mandela Day". DVIDS. https://www.dvidshub.net/news/241827/67-minutes-us-south-african-troops-engage-community-service-nelson-mandela-day.
- "U.S. Army in South Africa to conduct training exercise | News Ghana" (in en-US). News Ghana. 2017-07-17. https://www.newsghana.com.gh/u-s-army-in-south-africa-to-conduct-training-exercise/.
- "SA-US team up to train SA peacekeepers in ambush tactics" (in en). CityPress. http://city-press.news24.com/News/sa-us-team-up-to-train-sa-peacekeepers-in-ambush-tactics-20170725.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|