|Born||May 4, 1921|
|Died||20 March 2008(aged 86)|
|Place of birth||Kelbassen|
|Place of death||Apolda|
|Years of service||1939–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Willy Bachor (4 May 1921 – 20 March 2008) was a highly decorated Oberwachtmeister in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (14 November 1940)
- 1st Class (25 December 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- in Gold
- General Assault Badge
- Panzer Badge
- Eastern Front Medal (8 September 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (28 June 1944)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 11 May 1945 as Oberwachtmeister and platoon leader in the 12./Panzer-Regiment 24[Note 1]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Willy Bachor's nomination by the troop was not forwarded or may have been lost by the corps due to the military situation. A second nomination was submitted after the evacuation of East Prussia, after the German capitulation. This nomination was not processed. The order commission of the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR) processed the case in 1982 and decided: "Knight's Cross yes, 8 May 1945". The presentation date was later changed by Walther-Peer Fellgiebel. Bachor was a member of the AKCR.
References[edit | edit source]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 102.
- Scherzer 2007, pp. 117–118.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 (in German). Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.