|Born||March 26, 1911|
|Died||24 February 1995(aged 83)|
|Place of birth||Hamburg|
|Place of death||Leonberg|
Nazi Germany (to 1945)|
|Years of service||
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Wolfgang Ewald (26 March 1911 – 24 February 1995) was a German Luftwaffe ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
One of the most enduring actions Ewald took part in was a strafing attack on RAF Manston during the Battle of Britain. The attack took place on 18 August 1940, known as The Hardest Day. Three fighters were destroyed, and six were damaged in the attack. Wolfgang Ewald was shot down by Soviet flak in July 1943 during the Battle of Kursk. He was taken prisoner and was held until 1949. During his career was credited with 78 aerial victories, 1 in the Spanish Civil War, 1 on the Western Front and 76 on the Eastern Front.
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (21 September 1942)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- German Cross in Gold (3 October 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 December 1942 as Major and Gruppenkommandeur of the III./Jagdgeschwader 3 "Udet"
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 148.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939–1945 (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann. ISBN 3-87341-065-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D. and Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941–1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II. Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 3-931533-45-X.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Spick, Mike (1996). Luftwaffe Fighter Aces. New York: Ivy Books. ISBN 0-8041-1696-2.
Hauptmann Siegfried von Eschwege
|Commander of I. Jagdgeschwader 52
27 August 1940 – 24 May 1941
Hauptmann Karl-Heinz Leesmann
Major Karl-Heinz Greisert
|Commander of III. Jagdgeschwader 3
23 July 1942 – 20 July 1943
Major Walther Dahl
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|