|Active||21 May 1942 - 27 May 1942|
Otto von Bülow|
Pfadfinder (English : "Pathfinder") was a "wolfpack" of German U-boats that operated from 21 to 27 May 1942, in the Battle of the Atlantic during World War II. Operating off the North American coast between New England and Newfoundland they sank two ships for a total of 10,724 gross register tons (GRT).
U-boats, commanders and dates
- U-135, Friedrich-Hermann Praetorius, 21–27 May
- U-213, Amelung von Varendorff, 21–27 May
- U-432, Heinz-Otto Schultze, 21–27 May
- U-455, Hans-Heinrich Giessler, 21–27 May
- U-566, Dietrich Borchert, 21–27 May
- U-578, Ernst-August Rehwinkel, 21–27 May
- U-653, Gerhard Feiler, 21–27 May
- U-404, Otto von Bülow, 23–27 May
Ships hit by this Wolfpack
At 00:24 on 23 May, while en route from Halifax to Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, the unescorted 4,455 GRT British merchant ship Zurichmoor was torpedoed and sunk by U-432 east of Philadelphia. The master, 38 crewmen, and six gunners were lost.
At 00:18 hours on 27 May the unescorted 6,269 GRT Dutch merchantman Polyphemus, en route from Halifax to Liverpool, was hit by two torpedoes from U-578 about 340 nautical miles (630 km) north of Bermuda and sank within 45 minutes, with the loss of 15 of the crew. The survivors, including 14 men previously picked up from the Norland, sunk five days before by U-108, abandoned ship in five lifeboats. The U-boat surfaced and questioned the first officer before giving them cigarettes and the heading for New York. Three of the lifeboats landed at Nantucket Island, Massachusetts, while the other two were rescued by a Portuguese ship.
- "Wolfpack Pfadfinder - Wolfpacks - German U-boat Operations - uboat.net". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/ops/wolfpacks/32.html. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Friedrich-Hermann Praetorius". uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/men/commanders/939.html. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Amelung von Varendorff". uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/men/varendorff.htm. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Heinz-Otto Schultze (Knight's Cross)". uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/men/schultze_heinz-otto.htm. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Hans-Heinrich Giessler". uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/men/commanders/358.html. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Dietrich Borchert". uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/men/commanders/108.html. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Ernst-August Rehwinkel". uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/men/commanders/984.html. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Gerhard Feiler". uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/men/commanders/273.html. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Otto von Bülow (Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves)". uboat.net. http://www.uboat.net/men/buelow.htm. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Zurichmoor (Steam merchant) - Ships hit by U-boats - uboat.net". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1696.html. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Polyphemus (Motor merchant) - Ships hit by U-boats - uboat.net". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1711.html. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|