|Y C McNease|
c. 1936 (age 84–85)|
|Alma mater||Florida State University, 1963|
|Y C McNease|
|Service/branch||U.S. Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1956–1959|
Y C McNease (born c. 1936) is a former American college football coach. He was the head football coach at the University of Idaho for the 1968 and 1969 seasons.
Playing career[edit | edit source]
Born in Raleigh, Mississippi, McNease graduated from Leland High School in Leland in 1956, and joined the U.S. Marines. After his three years of military service, he attended junior college and transferred to Florida State, where he was on the roster for the 1961 and 1962 seasons as an end and center, and also played linebacker and . Well into his twenties and losing his hair, McNease was nicknamed "Pappy" by his younger FSU teammates.
Coaching career[edit | edit source]
Following his playing career, McNease was an assistant coach for five seasons at four schools; Florida State, Wichita State, Texas-El Paso, and Michigan. He was named the head coach at the University of Idaho in January 1968 at age 31, at an annual salary of US$16,800. McNease succeeded Steve Musseau and placed a new emphasis on the passing game; the 1968 Vandals were 5–5 and 3–1 in the Big Sky but the next year the team struggled with injuries and slipped to 2–8 with only one win in conference in 1969.
After just two seasons at Idaho, McNease was dismissed in May 1970 following spring practices. Though reasons were not fully disclosed by the university, it was attributed to his disciplinary tactics and player unrest. Additionally, an altercation reportedly occurred with a player in a Memorial Gym hallway and resulted in a ripped coat. Several months after his dismissal, McNease filed a $1 million breach of contract lawsuit in U.S. District Court against the university of Idaho. An out-of-court settlement was reached in 1973 for just under $24,800.
After coaching[edit | edit source]
McNease left coaching and worked in the insurance and financial services industry, with stops in Athens, Georgia, and back on the Palouse in the Moscow-Pullman area in the early 1980s. As of 2010, he is a resident of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
Name[edit | edit source]
Head coaching record[edit | edit source]
|Idaho Vandals (Big Sky Conference) (1968–1969)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|†Indicates Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, or CFP / New Years' Six bowl.|
References[edit | edit source]
- "Robbins to replace McNease at Idaho". May 17, 1970. p. 38. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=MFchAAAAIBAJ&sjid=M4UFAAAAIBAJ&pg=894,3543369.
- directory.lhsreunion.org - 1956 - accessed 2012-05-04
- Payne, Bob (January 24, 1968). "The pass is here". Spokane, Washington. p. 11. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Dd1XAAAAIBAJ&sjid=A-kDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5192,2521141.
- nolefan.org - Florida State football - Y C McNease - accessed 2012-04-05
- nolefan.org - Florida State football - year-by-year rosters - accessed 2012-04-05
- "Vandal post goes to Michigan aide". Washington. January 11, 1968. p. 21. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=laQpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tPcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2166%2C875154.
- nolefan.org - Florida State football - 1961 - year-in-review - accessed 2012-04-05
- "McNease appointed Idaho Vandal football coach". (Idaho). January 11, 1968. p. 14. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LspeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gDIMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4107%2C1530408.
- "McNease appointed new coach at Idaho". January 11, 1968. p. 18. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=L94jAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_ycEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4622,5573507.
- "McNease fired from Vandal football coaching job". (Idaho). May 16, 1970. p. 12. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ZLZeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UjAMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4061,3027140.
- "Athletics (1968–69)". Gem of the Mountains. 1969. p. 240. http://issuu.com/uidahodigital/docs/gem1969/245.
- "Steve Olson's future dim". (Idaho). November 4, 1969. p. 10. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=uoFfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dDAMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6040,541614.
- "Injury-hampered Vandals will face Colorado State". (Washington). November 10, 1969. p. 21. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=I2pYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LvgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2510,2555880.
- "McNease encouraged". Idaho. November 23, 1969. p. 12. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=x4FfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dDAMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6100%2C4096848.
- "Idaho officials debating possible coaching change". (Idaho). May 9, 1970. p. 12. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XbZeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UjAMAAAAIBAJ&pg=2257,1709949.
- "Settlement reached in McNease suit against U of I". Idaho. June 14, 1973. p. 15. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=B8xeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kTIMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4132,3081734.
- "Settlement approved by McNease". (Spokane, Washington). June 13, 1973. p. 15. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_xtOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nOwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3696,195634.
- "Resignations flow at UTEP". (Arizona). October 25, 1972. p. 3. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LLtaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UlADAAAAIBAJ&pg=5139,6042244.
- "Saturday smorgasbord". Washington. November 8, 1980. p. 11. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=X2VOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=S_kDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1814%2C2059707.
- "classified ads". November 7, 1980. p. 4D. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XK1fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0DIMAAAAIBAJ&dq=mcnease&pg=1882%2C2985117.
- "classified ads". Idaho. January 23, 1981. p. 5D. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=zLNfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CDMMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5876,2891933&dq=yc+mcnease&hl=en.
- doi.idaho.gov - insurance - accessed 2012-04-05
- "New coach: Idaho post to McNease". Spokane, Washington. January 12, 1968. p. 19. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=4L1YAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9ugDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4670,3386184.
[edit | edit source]
- Y on Twitter
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|