|Military of Zambia|
|2,477,494, age 15–49 (2004 est.)|
|1,310,814, age 15–49 (2004 est.)|
|NA (2004 est.)|
|Budget||$42.6 million (2003)|
|Percent of GDP||0.9% (2003)|
The Zambian Defence Force (ZDF) consists of the Zambia Army, the Air Force, and Zambian National Service (ZNS). The ZDF is designed primarily for internal defence in Zambia. Being a landlocked country, Zambia has no navy.
Army[edit | edit source]
- 3 x brigades
- 1 x Armoured regiment composed of a Tank Battalion and 1 Armoured Reconnaissance Battalion. U.S. State Department International Military Education and Training records from FY-2006 indicate a Zambian officer attended from 64 Armoured Regiment at Mikongo Barracks, east Lusaka.
- 9 x Infantry battalions (including 3 reserve battalions)
- 1 x Artillery Regiment (1 MRL battalion and 2 Field Artillery battalions)
- 1 x Engineer Regiment
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- T-55 Tanks: 20
- PT-76 light Tanks: 50
- BRDM-1/BRDM-2 Armoured Vehicles: 44
- BTR-60 Armoured Personnel Carriers: 13
- BTR-70 Armoured Personnel Carriers: 20
- Ferret Armoured Car: 2
- D-30 122mm Gun: 24
- BM-21 122mm MRL: 50
- AT-3 Sagger Anti-Tank Missiles
- FN FAL
- Heckler & Koch G3
- Sterling submachine gun
- PK machine gun
Air Force[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Arms Trade Register". SIPRI. http://armstrade.sipri.org/armstrade/page/trade_register.php. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- Jones, Richard D. Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009/2010. Jane's Information Group; 35 edition (January 27, 2009). ISBN 978-0-7106-2869-5.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.